National Consultant Extension and Advisory Services
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan
Mr. Bariz Mehdiyev, Assistant to the Head of Office
The project “Development of sustainable and inclusive local agro-food systems in north-west region of Azerbaijan” aims to establish local agro-food systems that integrate sustainable food production, processing, marketing, distribution and consumption supported by a demand driven agricultural advisory services system in the north-west region of Azerbaijan (Gakh, Zagatala and Balakan).
In this context, under the overall supervision of the Head of FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan, direct supervision of the Assistant to FAO Representative and the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer and FAO Advisory Services Specialist, and in close cooperation with the Agrarian Research Centre, the consultant will produce a detailed analysis of formal and informal public and non-state agricultural advisory service providers for the selected agro-food products.
In light of the above, this consultancy aims to contribute to the establishment and support of Multi-Actors Innovation Platforms for local inclusive and efficient agriculture and food systems within selected food value chains.
- Identify formal and informal public and non-state agricultural advisory service providers (AASP) for the selected agri-food value chains, which may include but not be limited to, persimmon, sheep, apiculture, fruits and herbs;
- Conduct interviews with AASPs with the goal to collect data on types and scope of services, forms of financing, level of expertise, potential coordination among service providers, marketing activities, cooperation with input suppliers, etc.
- Analyse data with the objective to identify the linkages between service providers and users and the supporting institutions and policies, and recognize training needs on skills to promote market- oriented services and facilitate innovation. The analysis will be conducted using the FAO AGDR methodology and will utilize the Gender and Rural Advisory Services Assessment Tool (GRAST), Market-Oriented Services Tool (MOST), and the Concept Note on establishment of Multi-Actor Innovation Platforms (MAIP);
- Elaborate recommendations, including policy options and coordination mechanisms for their improvement
- Develop a proposal for the training of ASSPs based on the needs’ assessment and AASPs interviews.
- Develop a work plan on the establishment and support of the multi-actors innovation platforms for the selected value-chains.
- Perform any other related duties and activities as required by the LTO
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in relevant field, such as agronomy, agribusiness, agro-industry, food processing, agriculture, and marketing
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in agronomy, agribusiness, or provision of extension and advisory services
- Working knowledge of English is required
- National of Azerbaijan
FAO Core Competencies\:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven technical and analytical skills and experience in provision or analysis of extension and advisory services;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, team oriented work style, interest and experience of working in multi-cultural environment;
- Demonstrated flexibility in leadership by performing and/or overseeing the analysis/resolution of complex issues;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to provide credible leadership;
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate in-depth, outcome oriented, stakeholder dialogues;
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present comprehensive reports;
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properly
- Strong capabilities in formulating complex scopes of work
- Excellent computer skills especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to take on assignments that require travel, mission and/or appointment to field locations
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.