Operations Assistant PPRD SOUTH WEST - BUEA
The crisis that affected the North West and South West regions of Cameroon has damaged public infrastructures, broken social cohesion and slowed down economic development. With the aim to resolve the crisis, the President of the Republic called for a Major National Dialogue, that brought together more than 600 participants from all 10 regions of the country. Third quarter of participants to the Dialogue came from the NWSW regions. The Head of State instructed the Prime Minister, Head of the Government to preside over the Major National Dialogue. Among other recommendations, the Major National Dialogue recommended the reconstruction of North West and South West regions.
The Government of Cameroon and UNDP collaborated to the formulation of the Presidential Plan for Reconstruction and Development (PPRD) of the North West and South West regions. The PPRD is a component of the National Development Plan 2020-2030 (post DSCE), aiming at reducing the effects of the socio-political and security crisis for the affected communities in the NW/SW regions. The PPRD feeds into the government efforts to resolve the current crisis. This initiative is complementary to other key reforms such as the establishment of a Special Status for the NW/SW regions.
Confronted with complex development challenges, the Government intends to emphasize on governance, economic recovery and crisis prevention in order to consolidate the peace process. Through the PPRD, the government aims at reinforcing the resilience and development of the populations in the affected regions of North West and South West. The Government envisages to restore social cohesion, provide livelihood opportunities and increase access to basic services for communities in the NW/SW regions. Finally, through the PPRD, the Government ambitions to bring about short and medium terms transformational changes.
The United Nations Development Programme is the implementing partner and fund manager of the PPRD. The program will be implemented through a dedicated accelerated execution modality over a period of 2 years. UNDP will build on its extensive experience to implement similar Recovery and Reconstruction large programs. The PPRD will consolidate peace in the NW/SW regions, by building capacity at national and local levels to address the underlying structural causes of vulnerability, marginalization and insecurity. To this end, the PPRD is articulated around 3 key pillars: social cohesion, rehabilitation of infrastructures for basic services and local economic revitalization.
In order to contribute to the implementation of the PPRD, UNDP Cameroon is looking for 3 (tree) individuals to act as the Operations Assistants of the Programme (One in Bamenda, One in Buea, One in Yaounde).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct report of both the PPRD Project manager and Regional Coordinators, and the operational supervision of both PPRD Finance Analyst & Head of PMSU, and in close cooperation with UNDP Finance team, he/she will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Accounting and administrative support
- PPRD cash management
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Input to the PPRD Programme processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Provides accounting and administrative support to the PPRD Programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for PPRD Programme, and preparation of all types of vouchers for PPRD Programme, PO vouchers; Pay Cycle and payment execution.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for Stabilization Project and recording of deposits in Atlas.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents of the Stabilization Project.
Ensures efficient administrative, logistics and procurement support to the PPRD, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance
- Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats
- Ensure closely with UNDP Administration the support for protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Supervision of cleaning services.
- Coordination of transportation services (vehicles of the office and projects), regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and certifying of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Ensure closely with UNDP Procurement unit the support to procurement processes.
Ensures proper PPRD Programme cash management system functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the PPRD Programme and CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the execution of the PPRD Programme financial services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work. Accurate data entry and presentation of financial information and a client-oriented approach enhances UNDP’s capability to effectively and efficiently manage financial resources.
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Required Skills and Experience
At least a Master degree in Finance, Management, Business or Public Administration, or equivalent, will be required
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in both administrative & finance domains, and in any other operational domain such as logistics, procurement, at the national or international level is required. NB: (The relevant Administrative & Finance experience must be at least 2 years)
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems are required,
- Experience with ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft, desirable and will be an asset,
- Working experience in Finance or accountancy with an international NGO, Organism, or UN will be an asset
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS desirable