Associate IT Officer
Post Number : 6SNIEP0060PA
Grade : NO-B
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-JUL-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only Nationlas of Senegal may apply to this position.
Duraction of Contract: One (1) year with the possibility of an extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of fundsORGANIZATIONAL SETTING
Pôle de Dakar is the International Institute for Educational Planning’s (IIEP) Africa-based office located in Dakar, Senegal. IIEP is a UNESCO specialized institute with a mandate to strengthen Member States’ capacity to plan and manage their education systems. Pôle de Dakar is renowned for its cutting-edge educational sector analyses and supports African countries in developing realistic and credible education system development plans in support of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Through a well-crafted and targeted capacity development approach, Pôle de Dakar contributes to the creation of diagnostic analyses, sector plans and pedagogical tools. In concert, these contribute to more relevant and sustainable educational policies across Africa. Pole de Dakar is also actively involved in knowledge creation for the education sector in Africa. For more information about its activities, please follow this link Pôle de Dakar
In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, IIEP continuously seeks creative ways to motivate and energize its people by providing meaningful and challenging work and learning opportunities.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Coordinator, the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer and the ICT Officer in Paris and in close collaboration with the relevant IT services at UNESCO BREDA, the incumbent will act as IIEP’s network technician responsible for resolving ICT-related issues in a timely and efficient manner. The incumbent will work in a collaborative team environment to achieve the following objectives:
1. Provides first level IT support to all staff and trainees at IIEP Pole de Dakar via the Helpdesk. Diagnose, detect, solve and follow up on IT issues which include but are not limited to:
(a) advising staff on the proper use of software products such as MS Office and Skype for Business;
(b) data backup and restoration;
(c) virus and malware detection, removal and prevention;
(d) research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources;
(e) roubleshooting services such as printing, Internet connection, etc.
2. Performs System administration of the Office’s virtualized infrastructure including Windows and Linux servers and network attached storage to ensure maximum uptime and availability of resources.
3. Coordinates with the Paris IT team for patches, changes, upgrades and deployments.
4. Administers the firewall cluster to ensure security of the internal network and accessibility of publicly available services.
5. Administers User and computer accounts including password resets, group memberships and group policies.
6. Performs computer imaging and ensure computers are up to date with the latest patches and anti-virus definitions.
7. Manages IT stock supplies and spare parts and perform routine repairs. Contacts manufacturers in case of recalls or repairs under warranty.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Communication Technology (ICT) or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the field of information technologies including Helpdesk support, maintenance of hardware and software, packages and applications.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP networks, routing and firewalls.
- Excellent Computer skills and use of relevant software such as MS Office and MS Visio.
- Good knowledge of Symantec Endpoint Manager and IT ticketing systems.
- Excellent knowledge of Skype for Business, WebEx, Zoom and other online communication tools.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, MS Exchange, Powershell, Linux and VMWare.
- Good knowledge of Windows Update Services.
- Good interpersonal skills. Ability to establish good working relationships with a multicultural team and the community at large to facilitate team-work.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, initiative, maturity, tact, astuteness and the ability to identify problem areas and resolve them effectively and efficiently.
- Ability and willingness to acquire and apply new knowledge and techniques to own work.
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information, effectively train/advise users on systems related issues, applications,etc and prepare written documentation in a clear, concise style.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good working knowledge of the other language.
- Relevant certification in hardware and software management.
- Relevant experience in an international work environment.
- Knowledge of Portuguese would be an added advantage.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which, where applicable, include 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc. For more information on Staff benefits and entitlements, please follow this link: ICSC bookletSELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include a written assessment exercise followed by a competency-based oral interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.