Quality Engineering Technician - Senior Assistant, Multiple positions
Juba (South Sudan)
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS South Sudan Country Office (SSCO) will be implementing the South Sudan Safety Net Project (SSSNP), which is funded by the World Bank (WB) to address existing challenges of soaring levels of poverty, vulnerability, unemployment and idleness, particularly amongst youth. The project development objective is to provide access to income opportunities and temporary employment to the poor and vulnerable households and strengthen safety nets delivery systems.
SSSNP has three main components namely:
a. Public works including complementary activities like entrepreneurial skills, WASH training and early childhood development and nutrition messaging;
b. Direct income support targeting House holds who are labour constrained;
c. Strengthening safety net delivery systems.
The project will be targeting the most vulnerable segments of South Sudanese population aiming to benefit in excess of 65000 beneficiary Households in more than 10 vulnerable locations across the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Management Support Officer - Team Leader, the incumbent is required to provide technical design, feasibility study, and quality control and oversee the implementation of the identified public works activities at the field level. Detailed duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Assist in supervision and monitoring with implementation of all identified public works;
- In consultation with the Environmental and Social Safeguards Assistant, assist with implementation of environmental and social safeguards standards in all public works activities;
- Provide overall guidance to community mobilization assistant, mobilization clerks and public works clerk on all field level public works activities;
- Assist with formulation of public works supervisory structure that includes, community level (foreman that oversees all targeted groups and headman in charge of individual groups), and counterpart officials from the government;
- Liaise with the State Ministry of Physical infrastructure for synergy in public works related activities;
- Support provision of training at the grass roots level for the communities;
- Assist with implementation of principles and safety rules to be applied to identified public works activities;
- Contribute to the preparation and operationalization of monitoring and evaluation system of the PW programme;
- Produce reports for all activities undertaken monthly, quarterly and annually.
Impact on Results
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the Quality Engineering Technician - Senior Assistant directly impacts the successful delivery of project on time, budget and above the expectations of all stakeholders. This subsequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services, management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Secondary School Certificate/Diploma is required.
- Technical/Professional Diploma or a Bachelors Degree/Under graduate degree in Civil Engineering, Agriculture or other relevant discipline will be an asset, and may be accepted in lieu of respective years of experience
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public works activities is required
- Experience implementing World Bank funded projects or development work is an asset
- Experience working with local communities, and with local authorities is an asset
- Skills in MS Office, supervising construction activities, and in health and safety are desirable
- Fluency in English (writing, reading and speaking) is required.
- Knowledge of local Arabic and or local Languages is desired.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: LICA-5
Contract duration:‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
This is a local position, therefore it is open to the nationals of South Sudan and applicants who have a valid residency work permit to work in South Sudan
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information -South Sudan
The UNOPS South Sudan office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All UNOPS operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. UNOPS is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including: transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization and emergency response.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.