COVID19 Protection Officer
Under the supervision of the Urban Program Manager, she/he will be directly responsible for providing essential protection and information services to minimize the negative impact of the pandemic through; supporting initiatives to strengthen refuge associations, develop and disseminate easy-to-understand messages on protection, legal frameworks, undertake protection case management for individuals in the communities. Facilitate referrals for protection services and for legal representation to bona fide legal practices who offer pro bono services. Working with Young African Refugee for Integral Development (YARID) and other refugee associations, the Police and other stakeholders in the urban environment to disseminate information in various languages and responding to needs and concerns of refugees in the urban context heightened by COVID pandemic.
She/he will be part of an integrated protection team and working in a consortium with other actors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support and mentoring to community-based structures to increase access to protection information and services
- In close collaboration with YARID and other key refugee associations, co-create an Information Packet customized for different audiences and purposes and translated into various languages spoken by refugee populations.
- Develop visual service maps (UNHCR referral pathways), Government service points, toll free e.t.c to facilitate referrals and case management
- Support development of easy-to-understand information messages on community based protection and legal remedies i.e. protection orders, legal documentation, HLP civil remedies, family justice and determine how to access them.
- Plan and facilitate trainings and capacity building sessions for Refugee associations on national and international protection frameworks to targeted audiences.
- Support implementation of solutions Fund to support low-cost, scalable protection solutions
- Work with refugee associations, Community leaders, the Police and other stakeholders in the legal sphere to identify issues impacting on urban refugees needing legal and protection interventions as a result of COVID-19.
- Provide clients for emergency protection cases among refugees and other vulnerable individuals.
- Participate in Protection Task force meeting.
- Submit daily and weekly data\reports, including narrative of high risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Analyze data, highlight trends and protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Undertake other administrative duties as directed by the Urban Program Manager, required for the functioning of programmes and implementation that are consistent with the role of Access to Justice Officer.