London (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Palladium and SYSTEMIQ incubate and accelerate regenerative businesses that create value of protecting and restoring nature with a fair distribution of benefits across the tropical forest frontier.
Palladium is in discussions to launch a EUR 25-50M fund that mitigates the effects of COVID-19 on smallholders, forest-dependent communities and sustainable value chains using innovative grant-financing, technical assistance and market-access support.
The programme will initially focus on Africa, however there is potential to extend to other tropical forest continents, dependent on need and donor priorities. The programme will complement other Palladium programmes with similar objectives, and the team will be expected to coordinate and liaise closely with colleagues and project partners to harness synergies, capitalise on lessons learnt and maximise the impact of the fund.
Scope of Work
The tasks and responsibilities assign ed to the Fund Manager will include:
* Support establishment, process flow and implementation of the eligibility, application and selection criteria for the fund
* Manage the overall grant portfolio and ensure activities are on track to meet targets
* Coordinate the process of submissions of grant funding requests (including request for applications, receipt of application, address questions from potential grantees, internal coordination, etc.)
* Contribute to and prepare the grant allocation, disbursements, and forecast schedules, as required
* Support and lead team in tracking all financial disbursements to grantees
* Lead on confirming eligibility of grantees. Perform evaluation of each funding request in collaboration with other relevant team members.
Work in collaboration with the programme team throughout the grant implementation to review and refresh Due Diligence on potential grantees such that the team can take the necessary care, attention and discretion prior to signing and amending grant agreements, and during the implementation.
* Track and report risks. Coordinate risk management measures throughout the life of the grants. This includes ensuring grantee compliance in relation to their grant agreement and reporting any risk or issue.
* Lead Palladium’s participation in monthly portfolio review meeting with the team and client as required, and provide updates, including on the risk dashboard
* Monitor grants implementation including workplans and budgets submitted by the grantees and manage the provision of funding to grantees. Provide support to the grantees, verify that the grant activities are progressing as per requirements of the Grant Agreement, and that any variances to the workplan are explained and justified.
* Verify that the appropriate milestone / contractual point has been reached successfully. Coordinate review meetings with the involvement of r elevant grantees and Project Management representatives.
* With support from the Project Manager and other relevant team members, lead on contract amendments.
* Ensure that goods and services are purchased by each grantee according to the appropriate Procurement policy and guidelines. Ensure that good and services are maintained according to processes and specifications that maximise quality and minimise lifetime cost and fully comply with guidelines on asset management.
* At close out verify the completion of all grant funded activities, confirm that they are completed to the expectations set out in the Grant Agreement, and confirm that all the expected deliverables have been provided and outputs achieved. Any variances to either the technical implementation or the budget must be explained and justified.
* Work with team members in the preparation and completion of financial audits as required.
* Develop and manage s trong working relationships with the project’s client, project partners and other stakeholders.
* Represent the project both with the client, and external audiences as needed
* Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on project progress and challenges with the Palladium team working on the project
* Ensure that grantees are meeting grant reporting requirements in a timely and accurate fashion, including quarterly narrative and financial reporting; review and provide feedback to the grantees and feed into Project Management’s Reporting Requirements.
* Work with the Project Management team in preparation of quarterly and annual reports and work-plans.
* An undergraduate degree or similar qualification in Finance, Law, Business, Economics or Social Sciences required. A Master's degree may be advantageous;
* Experience of managing grants for international donors;
* Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial data;
* Well-developed organisational skills and the ability to combine attention to detail with a view of strategic priorities;
* Knowledge of contracting regulations, contract procedures and reporting requirements;
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated ability to work under pressure with limited guidance;
* Fluency in English - excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Fluent in both written and spoken German;
* Experience working with one or more of the following agencies / government departments:
* The German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU);
* The German International Climate Initiative (IKI)
* The German Development Agency (GIZ)
* Evidence of experience or interest in the environment, international development, private sector development, forestry / nature-based solutions, sustainability or agriculture commodity value chains.
* Private sector experience is a strong plus.