ICT Specialist - Software Development [Back-end Software Developer]
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
Global Pulse is a flagship innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on big data. Its vision is a future in which big data and AI are harnessed and used responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action. To this end, Global Pulse will work to promote awareness of the opportunities Big Data presents for sustainable development and humanitarian action, forge public-private data sharing partnerships, generate high-impact analytical tools and approaches through its network of Pulse Labs, and drive broad adoption of useful innovations across the UN System.
Global Pulse implements data innovation programs through its Pulse Labs to provide UN and development partners with access to the data, tools and expertise required to discover new uses of big data and AI for development. Global Pulse develops policies, toolkits, applications and platforms to improve data-driven decision-making and support the evaluation of promising solutions.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for UN Global Pulse. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Specific duties include:
- Develop the server-side logic as well as the development and maintenance of the central database, ensuring high responsiveness and performance to requests from the frontend;
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by a front-end developer with server-side logic;
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use;
- Optimization of applications for maximum speed and scalability;
- Implementation of security and data protection;
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions and the integration of multiple databases and data sources into a single system;
- Develop new features, identify and fix bugs, improve the user experience, and commit code as directed by the project leads;
- Tune performance and assist in scaling the data platform, including transitioning to new caching and indexing technologies like MongoDB and redis;
- Increase test coverage and performance of backend APIs and backend modules.
- Advanced Degree preferably in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- Two (2) additional years of relevant work experience, in combination with a relevant first level university (bachelor’s degree or equivalent), may substitute for the requirement of a master’s degree.
- Proficiency in Python is required;
- Experience working with cloud providers and products including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and others (Azure, Rackspace, etc.) is required;
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git and of main web-based security principles is an asset;
- Experience integrating diverse applications using integration frameworks, web services and APIs is an asset;
- Experience with signal processing/ speech processing and Natural Language Processing (NLP) is desired;
- Capable of deploying and maintaining software remotely on a Linux or UNIX-like server is desired;
- Experience with data management and basic visualization is an asset;
- Experience with open source technology is desired;
- Proven ability to understand business requirements and translate them into system requirements is an asset;
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently is an asset;
- Ability to interface, collaborate with technical staff and designers is an asset.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required.
- Knowledge of French or Arabic language is an advantage.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractual Agreement (IICA) Contract level: IICA-2/ ICSC-10
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.