Senior Finance Officer
Present in Sierra Leone since 1999, IRC
supports the Sierra Leonean institutions – government, civil society,
community-based organizations and private sector – to provide improved social
services, decrease youth unemployment and mitigate gender based violence. IRC do this through programs and partnerships
designed to improve the life of women, youth and children by implementing
Health, Education, Youth and Gender Based Violence programming. IRC has a Country Program office in Freetown,
a Regional Field Office in Kenema, Field Offices in Kono and Bo, and a satellite office in Kailahun.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, and Anti-Retaliation.”
Summary of responsibilities
The Senior Finance Officer is responsible in assisting the Finance and Compliance Coordinator in re-reviewing of documentation for correct coding, arithmetic accuracy, reviewing of commitments for BVA report, Grants filing, review of cash books and reconciliation, compiling monthly cash projections,part take in month end closing process, facilitate transfers to Partners etc.
- Work with the Finance Officers for the review of financial report submitted by partners and provide immediate feedback to the Finance and Compliance Coordinator as necessary
- Participate in the verification exercises of Partner organizations’ vouchers and other necessary documents.
- Carry out all Pre-Award Assessments – including the report compilation and capacity building issues – for prospective partners and feedback to Supervisor, in a timely and comprehensive fashion.
- When Pre-Award Assessments are ready, follow up on action point(s) with partners for implementation.
- Carry out subsequent visits to partners who are selected, in order to develop a Capacity Building Plan with specific action points, incorporating this into the negotiation phase for the Partnership Agreement
- Conduct training for partner finance staff where required
- Participate in the sub award opening and closeout process in compliance with donors and IRC regulations
- Ensure Budget and other operational policies and procedures are respected by partners
- Support the Finance and Compliance Coordinator in the Development and maintaining of Partner Budgets in accordance with Donor, Government and the IRC internal policies and guidelines
- On a monthly basis (when required), prepare national and international Staff allocation for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Support the Finance and Compliance Coordinator to in all Partner monitoring activities
- Work with the Finance Officer(s) to make timely transfers on authorized and approved Payment Request and other support Documents in compliance with Grant agreements
- Ensure that he/she work with the other Finance staff to photocopy necessary vouchers for Partners reporting on a monthly basis.
- If assigned, Prepare commitment report from the cash books and other available sources
- Support the Finance Managers in the overall treasury management of the Organization.
- Prepare cash forecasts.
- Prepare the monthly tracker for all transfers and time of payment to Partners for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator by the 10th of every month for onward submission to the Deputy Director-Finance by 15th of every month
- Prepare Partner transfer tracker for all transfers and time of payment to Partners
- Work with the Finance officers to prepare Sub grantee cash projections and ensure that IRC transfer funds to Partners without delay.
- Actively participate in internal and external audits.
- Work with the other Finance staff to prepare and participate in the DFID verifications.
- Work with the other Finance Staff to find documentation during audits and verifications activities as required
- Where applicable, support in the Desk review by the Donor as may be required.
- Participate in any other duties related to audit
- Lead in the preparation and submission of the monthly budget versus actual (BvA) reports with narrative and relevant comments and spending recommendations to the Finance and Compliance Coordinator for review
- Lead in the preparation and submission of the monthly reports with narrative and relevant comments and spending recommendations to the Finance and Compliance Coordinator for review
- Prepare and submit Quarter Financial Report for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Prepare adjustment Journals to correct coding errors and reclassifications where necessary for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Participate in Grants Opening/Review/Closing and monthly BvA review meetings. Ensure coded budget is prepared based on donor format.
- Follow up and provide feedback to operations and program staff on action points from previous meetings and propose entry adjustments required for all BvAs and financial reports, in compliance with donor regulations.
Month end closing
- Work with finance team to review all financial documents for proper and adequate back up and provide feedback to the Finance manager and/or Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Work with the Finance Manager and/or Finance and Compliance Coordinator to review all expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness
- Work with the Finance Manager and/or Finance and Compliance Coordinator to review spreadsheets from field sites before uploading to Sun.
- Actively participate on month end closing and upload file.
- Work with the Finance Manager and/or Finance and Compliance Coordinator to prepare amortization schedule for rent and insurance on a monthly basis.
- Work with the Finance Manager and/or the Finance and Compliance Coordinator to Prepare all Journals for review and onward posting
Other finance duties
- Report to the Finance and Compliance Coordinator any irregularities on policy and procedures
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from DDF/CD
- Cover for other finance staff as required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Assist in the implementation of finance policies, procedures and systems
- If required, in coordination with the Finance manager, ensure balance sheet accounts are managed properly.
Key Working Relationships:
External: Partner NGOs, other NGOs, Bank, Social Security, National Revenue Authority
Internal: Deputy Director-Finance, Field finance Staff, Supply Chain