Inclusive Insurance Specialist
- Leadership, Coordination and Coherence
- Technical/Policy Leadership and Support
- Programme Identification, Development and Resource Mobilization
- External Engagement, Knowledge Management, Advocacy, Research and Evidence
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and representation across UNDP’s work in the inclusive insurance space.
- Play a key coordinating role across all key global forums for inclusive insurance, including within the Insurance Development Forum and InsuResilience Global Partnership, as well as with key partners such as the MicroInsurance Network, A2ii and ICMIF.
- Actively connect these key global fora and partnerships with UNDP’s work at the country level and focus on translating global policy discussions into practical action.
- Support UNDP’s corporate work by providing strategic advice, advocacy support, and critical analysis and information on inclusive insurance, to enhance UNDP’s overall positioning, including the preparation of briefing notes, presentations, speeches etc
- Provide technical leadership and support to all of UNDP’s work in Inclusive Insurance, and support all work, global, regional or at a country level (where appropriate).
- Play a key role in developing UNDP’s workstream for inclusive insurance at the country level, working across both supply and demand sides, covering legislation, regulation and institutional capacity development, as well as advocacy and awareness raising for both government and potential beneficiaries, and finally distribution partners.
- Design training and education packages to deliver on this workstream and support their rollout across critical countries, regions and all UNDP country offices.
- Work across UNDP teams of the Global Policy Network to develop programming in related areas such as social inclusion, gender and women’s empowerment, health, and actively develop and implement work with UNDP teams working in these areas, with a focus on joint delivery of work at the country level and joint fund-raising to support that work.
- Support the integration of work on Inclusive Insurance as one element of the Insurance and Risk Finance Facility’s integration UNDP’s Finance Sector Hub.
- Lead UNDP’s development work across Inclusive Insurance, from project identification, through technical specification, partnership collaboration, fund-raising and delivery.
- Proactively seek to resource all projects in development, and actively support the overall team’s effort (as well as that identified with country offices and the team’s regional specialists) to raise financing.
- Actively explore and develop strategic alliances with key partners for joint fundraising and service-delivery.
- Contribute significantly to the development of strategic programmatic partnerships with both internal and external partners to advance the implementation of Inclusive Insurance initiatives as part of UNDP’s Insurance and Risk Finance Facility.
- Develop strong relationships with donor financing and technical teams on inclusive insurance and provide regular guidance on policy and programming changes within donors that could impact on resource mobilization.
- Lead on inclusive insurance KM, advocacy and research issues for the Insurance and Risk Finance Facility, as part of the team’s wider package of work.
- Support the development of marketing, policy, learning and advocacy materials related to the team’s work, as well as in support of both the Finance Sector Hub and wider GPN, especially as it relates to inclusive insurance.
- Where appropriate represent UNDP’s Insurance and Risk Finance Facility across media, and actively contribute to its work through a strong social media presence supported by regular expert articles.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of global development financial trends, global financial institutions and processes, and ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
- Knowledge of inclusive growth, decent employment and social protection concepts, principals and issues, and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Knowledge of disaster risk management concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical settings.
Required Skills and Experience
- A master’s degree, preferably in inclusive/micro insurance or finance, social protection, financial inclusion or similar.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in either the public sector (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with an increasing level of responsibility.
- Demonstrable experience working in inclusive insurance, especially in developing countries.
- Experience at international level and with developing countries;
- Experience in results-based and results-oriented project implementation and management;
- Experience in managing teams, inspiring and mentoring staff, facilitating their capacity development, and resolving conflicts;
- Experience managing projects across issues of strategy, financing, administration and human resources.
- Experience in overseeing and guiding the development of communications and knowledge management strategies and products;
- Experience in overseeing implementation of projects involving government, NGO/CSO, private sector, academia and/or intergovernmental stakeholders.
- Working experience in UN or other international organization, and knowledge of UNDP policies, procedures and practices are advantageous
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation and communication skills;
- Competency in other UN languages is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of web-based management system.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.