Present in Sierra Leone since 1999, IRC
supports the Sierra Leonean institutions – government, civil society,
community-based organizations and private sector – to provide improved social
services, decrease youth unemployment and mitigate gender based violence. IRC do this through programs and partnerships
designed to improve the life of women, youth and children by implementing
Health, Education, Youth and Gender Based Violence programming. IRC has a Country Program office in Freetown,
a Regional Field Office in Kenema, Field Offices in Kono and Bo, and a satellite office in Kailahun.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, and Anti-Retaliation.”
Summary of responsibilities
The finance Officer is responsible in assisting the Senior Finance Officer, Finance Manager and Finance and Compliance Coordinator in re-reviewing of documentation for correct coding, arithmetic accuracy, collating commitments for BVA report, Grants filing, review of cash books and reconciliation, compiling monthly cash projections,part take in month end closing process, facilitate transfers to Partners etc.
- Support the Senior Finance Officer to prepare Sub grantee cash projections and ensure that IRC transfer funds to Partners without delay.
- Together with the Senior Finance Officer, review all financial reports submitted by partners and provide immediate feedback as necessary
- Participate in the verification exercises of Partner organizations’ vouchers.
- Support to carry out all Pre-Award Assessments – including the report compilation and capacity building issues – for prospective partners and feedback to Supervisor, in a timely and comprehensive fashion.
- Work with the Senior Finance officer to follow up on action point(s) with partners for implementation.
- Support the Senior Finance Officer to carry out subsequent visits to partners who are selected, in order to develop a Capacity Building Plan with specific action points, incorporating this into the negotiation phase for the Partnership Agreement
- Attend together with the Senior Finance officer the sub award opening and closeout processes in compliance with donors and IRC regulations
- Work with the Senior Finance Officer to Prepare the monthly tracker for all transfers and time of payment to Partners for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator for onward submission to the Deputy Director-Finance by 15th of every month
- On a monthly basis (when required), prepare national and international Staff allocation for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Support to make transfers & Cheque payments on authorized and approved Partners in compliance with Grant agreements
- Make sure to photocopy necessary vouchers for Partners reporting on a monthly basis.
- Prepare commitment report from the cash books and other available sources
- Work with the Senior Finance Officer to transfer funds to Partners and manage bank and cash balances.
- Support the Senior Finance officer to Prepare cash forecasts.
- Actively participate in internal and external audit.
- Actively prepare and participate in verification by DFID.
- Find documentation during audits and verification activities as required
- Where applicable, support in the Desk review by the Donor as may be required.
- Any other duties assigned to support audit
- Support the Senior Finance Officer to Prepare and send monthly budget versus actual (BvA) reports with narrative and relevant comments and spending recommendations to Finance and Compliance Coordinator for review
- Support the Senior Finance Officer to Prepare adjustment Journals for correcting coding errors, reclassification where necessary for review by the Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Participate in Grants Opening/Review/Closing and monthly BvA review meetings. Ensure coded budget is prepared based on donor format.
Month end closing
- Support to review all financial documents for proper and adequate back up and provide feedback to the Finance manager and/or Finance and Compliance Coordinator
- Together with other Finance Staff, review all expenditure worksheets for accuracy and completeness
- Support to review spreadsheets from field sites before uploading to Sun.
- Actively participate on month end closing and upload file.
- Prepare amortization schedule for rent and insurance on a monthly basis.
- Support to Prepare all on approved Financial reports Journals for review and onward posting
Other finance duties
- Report to the Finance and Compliance Coordinator any irregularities on policy and procedures
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from DDF/CD
- Cover for other finance staff as required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Assist in the implementation of finance policies, procedures and systems
- If required, in coordination with the Finance manager, ensure balance sheet accounts are managed properly.
Key Working Relationships:
External: Partner NGOs, other NGOs, Bank, Social Security, National Revenue Authority
Internal: Deputy Director-Finance, Field finance Staff, Supply Chain