Infrastructure Services Team Lead
Vacancy no.: RAPS/2/2020/INFOTEC/01
Publication date: 10 July 2020
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 10 August 2020
Job ID: 3982
Organization Unit: TMS
Contract type: Fixed Term
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply.
Applications from officials who have reached their age of retirement as defined in Article 11.3 of the Staff Regulations on or before 31 December 2017, or who have already separated from ILO service upon retirement or early retirement, will not be considered.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ILO welcomes applicants with experience in working within ILO constituents (governments, employers’ and business membership organizations, and workers’ organizations).
Applicants from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/Non--and-under-represented-member-States/
In addition to the interviews and tests that any candidate may be required to take, successful completion of the ILO Assessment Centre is required for all external candidates and any internal candidate applying to a higher category.
The position is located in the Technology Management Services Branch (TMS) within the Information and Technology Management Department (INFOTEC). INFOTEC provides modern, secure, and reliable IT infrastructure, technologies, applications and services to enable the ILO to effectively use technology to perform its mission.
The position will lead the team of IT professionals responsible for the provision, maintenance and support of the core Microsoft based infrastructure, communication services, files services and web content delivery. Services in scope include identity management, system management infrastructure, files storage and sharing, email, instant messaging, collaboration and communication tools, virtual desktop and web content delivery. These services and technologies are operated both on premise and in the cloud.
The position reports to the Head of Infrastructure Services.
- Ensure infrastructure is operated and maintained so that services are delivered according to agreed levels. Take preventive and proactive actions to ensure best possible service availability.
- Ensure the effective design and implementation of the team’s workplans and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of activities. Take preventive and proactive actions to ensure best possible service availability. Establish performance objectives for staff, monitor and evaluate progress and provide guidance.
- Design and operate support processes within and outside of the organisation to ensure 2nd and 3rd level support cases are managed effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure processes and standard operation procedures are documented. Participate in the production of documentation and publish end users documentation when required.
- Communicate with different support entities at headquarters and in the regions to raise awareness on upcoming changes.
- Lead project delivery of enterprise IT services, including project scoping, planning, resourcing and tracking.
- Develop business cases, define requirements and run procurement activities according to the governance framework in place.
- Manage service providers, consultants and contractors to ensure contracts are delivered according to agreed terms.
- Provide technical expertise on technologies used to deliver services in scope.
- Coordinate with the wider infrastructure team and service providers to ensure architecture and services alignments.
- Review architecture, configuration and metrics to guarantee the compliance of systems in scope with security policies in place.
- Deliver presentations, communications and trainings in relation to services roll-out and maintenance.
- Closely monitor technology developments, identify opportunities and make recommendations on future evolutions.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Develop, install and maintain complex systems for various types of computers and applications used in the organization.
- Identify the need for new systems, and translate user needs into systems and applications that can be integrated with existing systems. Install and maintain purchased hardware and software.
- Design, programme and maintain software to be used in-house. Undertake systems analysis, and prepare design specifications for programming.
- Make recommendations on hardware and software requirements and on their purchase. Provide expertise and leadership on technological changes for the organization.
- Create, monitor and document systems environment and standards that analysts, programmers, operators and users will use.
- Allocate computer resources to users. Design and ensure the installation and usability of custom software.
- Implement new systems software and required modifications in an optimal manner, particularly without adverse effects on current production and testing and minimal impact on development activities.
- Provide training to staff on new computer software programmes.
An advanced university degree in computer science or related fields.
At least seven years of professional experience in the IT field, of which at least three years at the international level and including:
• 3 years managing a team or project teams of professionals delivering infrastructure services.
• 3 years designing, deploying and supporting Microsoft Active Directory family services (AD, ADFS, ADCS, Azure AD, MFA).
• Delivering Microsoft Exchange and/or Exchange Online email services for a large organisation (1000+ users).
• Designing and delivering infrastructure projects.
• Designing, deploying and maintaining multi-tier, enterprise grade web content delivery platforms.
• Interacting with and managing service providers and technology consultants.
Excellent command of English, and French or Spanish.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, System Manager and Windows server technologies, including Azure integration.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Exchange online services.
- Intimate knowledge of network, web and security protocols (eg. TCP/IP, BGP, HTTP/S, TLS) and technologies (Apache web server, IIS, Tomcat, Weblogic, Drupal).
- Intimate knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 services, most prominently Exchange online, Teams and Sharepoint.
- Ability to multi-task, manage different projects in parallel and coordinate across boundaries.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical people at different levels.
- Ability to write clear documentation, business cases and terms of reference
Advanced knowledge of the following as applicable:
• overall computer concepts
• hardware and software technologies
• the Internet
• e-mail systems
• PC/server/network operating systems
• databases & information systems
• application development
• programming languages
• network management
• data communication and multi-protocol environments.
Up-to-date knowledge of technological advancements, technical specifications and operating procedures in the area of work. Advanced knowledge of the organization’s computing environment. Ability to analyse complex user requirements and incorporate them into new and existing systems. Ability to analyse and evaluate the technical work carried out by subordinate staff. Ability to plan and organize work. Ability to solve complex technical problems. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to provide expert advice on IT systems. Ability to provide user support and give presentations and training. Ability to produce documentation and reports. Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
Ability to work in a regulated environment and deal with regulatory constraints. Ability to adjust to changes of priorities, sometimes on short notice. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- The first contract will be issued for a twenty-four month period.
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/
Any officials of the General Service category interested in applying to this position are hereby informed that, if selected, they will be offered the salary and allowances applicable to the grade of the position applied for, which may result in substantial changes in their take-home remuneration. In accordance with Article 3.4 of the Staff Regulations, the salary of an official, upon promotion, shall in no case be greater than the maximum salary of the grade to which he or she was promoted.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website at https://jobs.ilo.org/. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 3 to 4 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.