Intern - Communications, Talent Development Unit
UNDP is the UN Development Programme and works in some 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
UNDP has a unique working environment and will play a forward looking, effective and central role in delivering on the Sustainable Development Goal agenda and strategy. Our staff provide services to some of the world’s most vulnerable people, investing in development programmes across the globe, “working as one” with our UN sister agencies, to achieve our vision of “Empowered Lives and Resilient Nations”. This working environment presents special challenges for people management. UNDP has a global workforce of over 17,000 people including staff, UN Volunteers, long term consultants and senior managers. We work in development, humanitarian, post disaster and multi country programme contexts. UNDP’s national and international staff and long -term experts contribute to on-the-ground solutions around the world working as part of a larger UN system
Drawing on the diversity of UNDP’s client needs and partnerships, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) is the hub for the global HR function for UNDP, providing strategy, policy setting, guidance, and oversight. In addition, OHR provides a broad range of HR advisory and talent management services enabling UNDP to deliver fully integrated development solutions at corporate level. In this context, OHR is focused on the implementation of an ambitious and forward-looking three-year strategy, People for 2030, which will progressively transform UNDP’s culture and enable its workforce capacity to deliver more and better results.
The Talent Development Unit (TDU) of the OHR plays a role in the talent development process including developing frameworks, programmes, tools and partnerships. The team is accountable for cultivating a UNDP culture of life-long learning and for ensuring UNDP’s offerings in learning and development optimize its investment in talent so that the organization has the human capability to deliver on its strategic goals. They provide thought leadership and are a role model for leadership development, organizational learning, capability development and career development.
In alignment with the People for 2030 and People Development 2020 Strategy, the unit is committed to providing improved opportunities for, and better targeting of, learning and development initiatives so that staff can reach their full potential and increase organizational capability and effectiveness.
In this regard, TDU is seeking a home-based ‘virtual’ Talent Development intern located in Africa, Asia, Europe, Central Europe, Middle East, North America, and Latin America respectively to support our internal communications efforts.
- The Intern will receive a monthly stipend. The amount will vary depending on their duty city / country.
- The amount can also vary depending if a selected candidate receives financial support from a nominating institution, related institution or government.
Starting Date of the Internship
With consideration for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and its implications on working arrangements, the selected candidate will be expected to start his/her internship between September 1st and September 15th, 2020.
- Please ensure you are eligible for this internship by reviewing the detailed eligibility criteria before applying.
- There is no expectation of employment with UNDP following an internship.
- Please enclose your CV only.This website only receives documents in one pdf file. So please make sure your CV is in one file. Please do not enclose any other documents like certificates or publications at this point. We require only your CV to be uploaded. We will request for further documentation as we progress with the process of this recruitment.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will assist in the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in managing UNDP/TDU internal and external communications (Yammer, UNDP’s Intranet, LinkedIn & Instagram) targeting the various stakeholders ofTDU activities.
- Assist in executing internal communications strategies, posting on the different outlets and keeping track of the key performance indicators for each network.
- Research relevant content and stories to post on UNDP’s Talent Hub
- Assist in the development of graphical presentations for TDU communications including but not limited to presentations, internal documents, internal websites etc.
- Create and design digital assets (brochures infographics, posters, etc.) for internal and external communications.
- Assist in creating digital assets for the website.
Training Components and Learning Elements
As a member of the TDU team, the intern will:
- Learn the structure, mechanisms, policies and practice areas of UNDP.
- Participate in in-house training opportunities as applicable.
- Learn about online learning and leadership development initiatives.
- Participate in dedicated trainings and UNDP online learning tools.
- Strengthen his/her effective writing and visual communication skills.
- Participate in working groups / task forces and other initiatives.
- Familiarity with global development issues and the world of the UN.
- Familiar with the values the UN and UNDP embodies and supports in all of its work
- Communication: Ability to summarize a large amount of information and translate it into a visually compelling product for a public audience;
- Graphic skills:Good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop/Illustrator and InDesign is a requirement.? A good command of formatting, layout, and design in Microsoft Office is also necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Responsible, responsive, and enthusiastic.
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyse data and resolve problems.
- Strong attention to details.
- Language skills: Fluency in English is required. Good working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. Applicants to UNDP’s internships must meet one of the following academic requirements: