Senior Renewable Energy Specialist
Korea (Korea (Republic of))
Senior Renewable Energy Specialist
Date: Jul 16, 2020
Location: Korea (KOR), KR
Company: Green Climate Fund
Grade: IS - 5
Deadline: 16 August 2020 (11:59 PM KST)
The mission of the Green Climate Fund (“GCF”, “Fund”) is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Senior Renewable Energy Specialist, reporting to the Deputy Director, Mitigation of DMA, is responsible for the expansion and evolution of GCF’s Renewable Energy portfolio and pipeline, aligned with wider organization policies.
Working closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other internal/external stakeholders, the Senior Renewable Energy Specialist leads in originating the pipeline, manage the review of the funding proposals, advises on the improvement of the projects under review, and provide technical oversight of the portfolio of investments in low emissions and climate resilient Renewable Energy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the secretariat assessment of funding proposals by working closely with accredited entities and coordinating the interdivisional review;
- Lead the development of working papers, guidelines and tools, and contribute to the development of strategy and policies related to this sector;
- Promote innovative investment models in Renewable Energy to address climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Advocate on Renewable Energy planning, implementation approaches, and relevant technologies, based on best practices and responding to country needs;
- Advocate towards the development of transformative projects and programmes on the sector that respond to the identified needs and priorities of countries;
- Coordinate and negotiate with relevant external stakeholders as they access the Fund’s investment resources;
- Lead on and oversee the origination of Renewable Energy investments and provide technical advices to the monitoring of project and programme implementation;
- Lead the development of lessons learned papers and contribute to knowledge management activities; and
- Contribute to corporate and team activities and managing consultants, interns, and other GCF staff as necessary.
Required Experience and Qualifications*
- Master’s or higher-level degree in renewable energy, energy efficiency or related fields;
- 11 years or more experience in project origination, development, evaluation and management and/or financing with specific emphasis on low emission and climate resilient Renewable Energy;
- Substantive experience in developing and implementing low emissions and climate resilient Renewable Energy investments in developing countries settings is required;
- Relevant experience in climate finance operations and process management; familiarity with the UN and multilateral setting, and knowledge of the UNFCCC framework;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills required with ability to interact with multiple internal/external stakeholders and at different levels; and
- Fluency in English with knowledge of Spanish and/or French (or another UN language) is an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references. Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.