Tableau Platform Manager
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are seeking to fill a remote working consultancy position of Tableau Platform Manager.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the agility required in humanitarian operations, be they manmade or in a natural disaster setting. TEC Division continues to increase its activities to meet the constantly growing demand from the organization and implement the initiatives related to digital transformation.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
WFP has launched its digital transformation program with a strong focus on utilizing data for better informed decision-making. We are investing heavily in our deployment of Tableau, to enable powerful visual analytics capabilities, alongside platforms for data integration, deep field data collection, and corporate reporting.
Under the supervision of the Chief Data and Analytics Officer, TEChnology (TEC) Division, the Tableau Platform Manager will be a key team member in leading the design, implementation, operation and optimization of Tableau services to support WFP HQ and field offices worldwide. Major duties include owning the platform roadmap and framework according to Tableau Blueprint best practices, fostering and improving the use of analytics throughout the organization by overseeing the Tableau user community, leading server upgrade and performance initiatives, developing and adhering to WFP’s data governance policies and guidelines, and liaising Tableau services companies and partners on product improvements or solutions development.
Technical Platform Oversight
- Oversight of Tableau Server infrastructure from user setup to performance tuning in a high availability environment (e.g., Security, Clustering, Load Balancing, User Management etc.)
- Coordination with Tableau service/maintenance and service provider teams for configuration, patching, and upgrading of the Tableau Server and Desktop across environments based on release schedules.
- Oversight of Tableau API implementation requests.
- Work in collaboration with the security team and data protection team on content and data governance activities.
- Develop a close working relationship with the TEC Data Program team and other technology colleagues on integration roadmaps with other technology products (e.g., WFP corporate data lake, API manager, SAP HANA, etc.).
Content & Data Governance
- Oversight of the framework for user management, including groups, projects, workbooks, data sources, along with the integration with WFP staff directory.
- Implement WFP’s data governance process that meets information security and data privacy and protection requirements – this includes ensuring private data controls are in place for server prod, QA, and caching environments.
- Collaborate with data preparation teams (SSIS, Foundry, Prep) for managing ETL flows.
Monitoring and Performance
- Implement and maintain custom administrative views and network load tracking system using Tableau Server dashboard.
- Develop a set of performance metrics to monitor the success of Tableau Server / Desktop and provide insights to help drive improvements for WFP.
- Develop guidance on the performance tuning of workbooks, data sources and providing best practices for the user community.
- Liaise with Tableau Foundation and other partners on data and analytics events and/or communications campaigns, highlighting analytics success stories supported by Tableau.
- Support Tableau Doctors sessions with the WFP Data Fellow network (train the trainers).
- Engage WFP data and analytics community through posts and responding to functional questions, product roadmap / feature previews, and examples of best practices.
- Deliver Tableau Webinars or develop content for data proficiency / literacy for staff.
- Streamline product licensing guidance based on Tableau for new and existing users, ensuring up to date licensing analytics.
- Coordinate Tableau training needs with LTA partners for effective and efficient delivery, in-person or online.
- Demonstrated progress on delivery of duties as outlined above, with relevant documentation and engagement with user community.
- Tableau roadmap incorporating Blueprint best practices reviewed with Tableau Customer Success team on a regular basis.
- Produce documentation and guidance for the TEC Architecture Board as major releases or technical roadmap items are implemented.
- Development of dashboard to track Tableau server monitoring performance along with full tracking of SLAs for incident response – with bi-weekly meetings with TEC Data Program leads in HQ and the Field.
- Automate process for staff Tableau training through LTA partners.
- Written artefacts for relevant facets of the Tableau platform as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advanced University Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration, Data Management, Statistics, Information Management other relevant discipline
- At least 6 years of experience working with data and analytics projects.
- At least 4 years of experience with Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server.
- At least 2 years of experience with SQL and PL/SQL.
Technical Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of PySpark/Python is a plus
- Experience working with advanced chart types
- Experience working with database technologies such as Postgres, Hadoop, Amazon S3, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.
- Tableau Certifications in Desktop, Server is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Solid technical understanding of data management & ETL.
Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit our website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 13 August 2020 at 11:59pm Rome time
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Saving lives, changing lives