ROSTER: Finance Associate, Accounts Section, Finance Branch, Division for Management Services
New York City (United States of America)
The Finance Branch is creating a roster of Finance Associates.
The Finance Associate positions will be located within the Accounts Section of UNFPA’s Finance Branch, part of the Division for Management Services.
The Finance Branch is responsible for global financial management; issuance of management, statutory and donor reports; support to and monitoring of field offices (FOs) on all financial management, accounting and reporting matters; management of corporate accounts; and the continuous enhancement of financial management policies, processes and systems and guidance on and support to their implementation. The Finance Branch also plays a key role in the custody and distribution of financial resources and the monitoring of expenses and the strengthening of ongoing compliance with the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
The Accounts Section currently consists of four teams: Global Monitoring and Advisory Team (GMAT); Revenue and Donor Reporting Team, Statutory Reporting Unit; and Payment Team.
GMAT is responsible for providing monitoring and support services to FOs and HQ units in the areas of accounting and financial management. As part of these functions, GMAT oversees the accurate use, reconciliation and clean-up of balance sheet accounts, including the Operating Fund Accounts (OFA), and expense accounts; ensures financial data quality; supports the implementation of new financial management policies, processes and systems; and provides advisory services.
The incumbents will directly report to the Head of the GMAT team, under the overall supervision of the Chief, Accounts Section.
Main Tasks and responsibilities
- A. Provide support to FO-s on the issues of accounting, policy application and other financial matters including the following:
- B. Analyze FO trial balance and review FO expenses and balance sheet accounts to ensure accuracy of the accounts, including the following:
- C. Monitor financial information integrity and completeness via the dashboard, accountability checklist and other tools and follow up with COs to ensure the following are performed to allow for monthly closures.
- D. Prepare financial analysis as requested, including, but is not limited to: Prepare reconciliation and aging for selection of balance sheet account create general ledger journal entries, and Research of anomalies and follow up with respective users
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary level education required. First level University degree and/or accounting qualification from a recognized body is desirable.
- 6 years finance-related work experience - accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger maintenance, etc. Experience in the application of IPSAS or IFRS would be advantageous;
- Strong attention to detail and data analysis skills; ability to use large and imperfect datasets for meaningful analysis identifying key trends, data integrity gaps, and performance strength and weaknesses;
- Good writing, communication and presentation skills;
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets, word processing and computerized accounting systems;
- Experience in drafting policy and guidance documents, standard operating procedures and training manuals is a strong advantage;
- Previous experience with the UN system organizations is desirable;
- Previous experience with major ERP system, preferably Peoplesoft / Oracle is desirable;
- Candidate must pass the United Nations GGST/ASAT exam to be appointed;
- Fluency in English language is required; Proficiency in French and/or Spanish is a significant advantage.
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary, health insurance and other benefits.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm