Communications Consultant— Communications for Generation Equality Forum
Home-based with Some Travel
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The year 2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the Fourth UN World Conference on Women and adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995), the international blueprint for gender equality and women’s empowerment. In that context, UN Women is convening the Generation Equality Forum, a global gathering for gender equality, co-chaired by France and Mexico, with the leadership and partnership of civil society.
Building on the Beijing+25 national, regional reviews and the global review at CSW64, as well as UN Women’s Generation Equality public advocacy campaign that was launched in May 2019, the Generation Equality Forum (GEF) is a civil-society centred, multi-stakeholder global gathering for gender equality, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France, in partnership with civil society. Through co-creation and diverse and inclusive consultations, the GEF will bring together feminist advocates from across the globe to foster action and renew movements for gender equality, as well as launch a set of innovative and multi-stakeholder Action Coalitions. The GEF in Mexico City (originally planned for 2020) will be held in early 2021, and will drive the strategic agenda towards this outcome, while the GEF in Paris in mid-2021 will see the culmination of this initiative into the next five years. Satellite countries will also host activities as a way to expand the main messages of the GEF to a broader audience.
For that purpose, UN Women’s Communications & Advocacy Section, within the Strategic Partnerships Division, seeks to recruit a Communications Consultant to develop and implement the communications efforts for the Generation Equality Forum.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Communications & Advocacy and Head of the Generation Equality Forum Secretariat, and working closely with the UN Women Communications & Advocacy Section, the Communications Advisor will develop Generation Equality Forum communications planning and collaterals to increase the visibility of the Generation Equality Forum, working in collaboration and through a consultative process with key Generation Equality Forum governance structures, including its main decision making body—the Core Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical advice and support for Generation Equality Forum’s communication efforts
- Provide high-level support to the management of the Generation Equality Forum (GEF) communications efforts, working in consultation and coordination with key governance structures (GEF Core Group), UN Women Units, and contracted consultancy firms
- Work closely and co-ordinate a working group of key communications focal points (GEF Communications subgroup) ensuring timely and regular communication among participants and a collaborative approach between representatives of France, Mexico, civil society and UN Women in the production of communication planning, initiatives, event communications guidance and deliverables
- Provide technical guidance and support to the design of country-specific communications and media engagement plans for the Forum, across multiple platforms and channels, with defined key messages
- Provide high-level support to coordination with France, Mexico, civil society, on the development and implementation of joint communications and visibility efforts
- Develop global messaging, media placements, interviews and press for Generation Equality Forum (Mexico City and Paris), in consultation with the GEF Core Group, contracted firms and UN Women GEF Secretariat, Action Coalition Secretariat, and Communications Units.
Provide technical input to the development of innovative partnerships and advocacy for Generation Equality Forum
- Identify opportunities for partnership building for Generation Equality Forum with global advocacy and communications networks and alliances to amplify engagement and mobilization, in collaboration with GEF Core Group and relevant stakeholders
- Develop successful global public advocacy efforts through partners, alliances and influencers, which covers France, Mexico and satellite countries and other strategic locations
- Engage relevant stakeholders effectively and regularly for the Forum and Action Coalitions
- Design and implement communications and advocacy strategies for partners around the Generation Equality Forum
- Provide technical advice and guidance on creative engagement around the arts components of the Forum, working with the leads: GEF Secretariat, National Committees and other partners
- Enhance capacities of key partners to strategically and effectively communicate on the GEF and the Actions Coalitions
Provide high quality inputs to Generation Equality Forum PR efforts and website
- Provide high-level support to the partnership with a contracted public relations agency for strategic communications around the GEF and increase strategic communication capacities across GEF stakeholders
- Work closely together with the hired agency to undertake global PR mobilization in the lead-up to the Forum in Mexico and France
- Support procurement processes in view of timely support for the PR agency. Develop the design of Generation Equality website, in close collaboration with co-conveners, ensuring the platform serves as the central information hub for the Forum.
- Develop sound content strategy for the GEF website, including procurement and recruitment processes of consultants, content production, and engagement strategy
- Provide guidance and support the design and implementation of other public mobilization activities around the GEF including the Public Conversations
- Provide inputs to support events aiming to increase engagement and mobilization of stakeholders for the GEF
Team work and reporting
- Provide high-level support to communications personnel recruited for GEF communications activities
- Ensure detailed planning, monitoring and evaluation is undertaken during the design and implementation of the communications and public mobilization strategy, including by external companies.
- Provide high quality reporting on communications for donors and partners, on an on-going basis as well after conclusion of the Forum.
- Generation Equality Forum communication strategy developed and rolled out
- Country-Specific communication and media engagement plans developed and rolled out
- Regular joint communications implemented
- Global messages, media placements, interviews and press secured
- Global advocacy plan rolled out
- Communication and advocacy strategy developed for and with partners
- Global PR mobilized
- Coalitions, partners, strategic influencers and global audience engaged
- Generation Equality Forum widely covered by owned and earned media channels, social media and across platforms and channels, including online and offline
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Media, Advocacy or similar is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 10 years of experience in strategic communications, media, advocacy, at the international level;
- Proven experience in developing and implementing effective global communications strategies and mobilization campaigns for global Summits/ Forums
- Solid communications experience working across platforms and channels, online and offline
- Experience working with civil society in diverse contexts
- Experience in developing broad-based alliances and partnerships
- Experience in writing, editing, content production and dissemination for online and offline audiences at the international level
- Experience working in fast-paced communications or advocacy contexts
- Familiarity with the UN system is an asset
- Strong knowledge and affinity with women’s rights and gender equality issues.
- Fluent in English.