Shelter Helpline Assistant - Beirut (Internals Only)
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the Accountability function
- Communicate and share general information about NRC’s operation in Lebanon and specifically about Shelter and Settlements modalities.
- Develop knowledge of NRC’s Shelter and Settlements programme in order to most effectively attend to callers.
- Update the Shelter and Settlements FAQs document as needed to ensure up-to-date information is given to callers.
- Carry out related mainstreaming of protection in programme daily implementation as per the set NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines, and ensure reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager for proper action.
- Ensure that all protection related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the related Protection Coordinator.
- Represent NRC using excellent communication skills with beneficiaries, communities and stakeholders.
- Receive calls via the centralised Shelter helpline, triage/classification of cases, update database and refer admissible cases to the Shelter Focal Points in the areas in a timely manner. Follow-up with Shelter Focal points on status of cases (in process, closed, open).
- Maintain the Shelter helpline database, compiling, revising and cleaning of entered data.
- Receive and follow-up on results of referred calls from the area teams, and update helpline database accordingly.
- Provide feedback, when needed, to calls requesting follow-up on eligibility, based on the reports provided by the Shelter teams.
- Coordinate with Database officers on possible move-ins and move-outs reported through the helpline.
- Support the process of the explanation and signature of Shelter Cooperation Agreements as requested.
- Handle calls on complaints and feedback and ensure these are reported to the Accountability Unit for follow-up.
- Handle sensitive and non-sensitive complaints and feedback calls, and actively promote accountability and PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards and principles.
- Share regular reports of received calls with Shelter Focal Points in the areas, and perform follow-up as needed to ensure proper handling of cases.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Knowledge of English, written and oral and fluency in Lebanese Arabic is must
- Professional management of confidential/sensitive information and handling SEA cases
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications
- Ability to deal in respect and empathy with the communities
- Desirable experience in handling a helpline
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environments
- Coping with change
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.