Population Data Fellow, Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (Panama)
Panama City (Panama)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of LACRO’s Regional Population and Development Advisor and in coordination with staff from the Population and Development Branch at UNFPA-HQ, the International UN Volunteer will:
- Learn and apply contemporary technical methods of assessing data quality and completeness of civil registration data, adjusting civil registration data to account for coverage and content error, and producing vital statistics from civil registration data;
- Support UNFPA staff in compiling, processing and analyzing mortality and COVID-19 data for LAC countries;
- Contribute to the development of R code libraries to support data processing and analysis of civil registration data, using standard tools such as R, R Studio, and GitHub;
- Contribute to routine and ad-hoc discussions and meetings within UNFPA on civil registration, vital statistics and legal identity;
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- University undergraduate degree or equivalent in the quantitative social sciences, such as demography, public health epidemiology, statistics, sociology, economics or related discipline (such as computer science) ; Masters degree preferred
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (2 years) in applied statistics, public health, and demography;
- Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
- Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
- Fluency in spoken and written in Spanish and English is required;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Statistical analysis skills (including familiarity with writing scripted analyses in a major statistics package, such as R, Stata, or SPSS or related statistical programming language) and willingness to learn (or existing familiarity with) GitHub or version control systems;
- Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Spanish(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
1. Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup
2. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it.
3. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink
4. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
1. Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
2. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 7 August 2020