Health & Nutrition Coordinator - South Sudan
South Sudan (South Sudan)
About the role: This is a 12 month, new role with unaccompanied terms based in Kajo Keji, Central Equatoria, South Sudan with a salary of Grade 4, of salary range €41,604 to €46,227 per year.
You will report to the Programme Director-Emergency and will line manage four people (there may be some restructuring of the programme). You will work closely with Country Financial Controller, Systems Director and relevant Technical Advisors.
We would like you to start on 1st September 2020
The principal objective of the Health and Nutrition Coordinator position is to be responsible for the set-up and management of a new programme office in Kajo Keji, and overall management and implementation of programming in Kajo-Keji and Yei.
You will be responsible for recruiting and developing the programming and managerial skills of the new health and nutrition team, and representing Concern Worldwide and building relations with government and other external stakeholders. .
You will be responsible for:
Programme Development and Implementation
Oversee the development, planning and delivery of the Health and Nutrition programme activities in consultation and collaboration with the Programme Director.
Ensure efficient set-up of field level activities under the integrated model to strengthen both the facility support and community outreach components of Concern’s Health and Nutrition activities.
Oversee programme quality in accordance with international and national protocols, Ministry of Health strategies and polices and Concern best practices.
Build on existing, and seek new, synergies with the Health and Nutrition Clusters, Technical Working groups and other agencies in Health and Nutrition and the SMoH and County Health Departments (CHDs) of the county.
Support cross-sectoral periodic programme reviews in order to assess programme progress, capture lessons learnt and adapt programme strategies as necessary in accordance with Concern’s results-based management principles.
Monitor programme expenditure and budgets, and work with programme managers and the Programme Director to ensure resources are optimally utilized and spending is in line with Concern financial procedures and donor requirements.
Keep abreast of humanitarian situation and gaps in the area and make recommendations to support humanitarian programming.
Work with the PD and Programme Quality Unit to ensure the timely and high quality development of programme proposal and concept notes for donors and for other interested parties for funding opportunities. Work with the PD to further build and maintain Concern’s emergency preparedness capacity including contingency planning.
Ensure mainstreaming of cross cutting issues/approaches throughout the programme cycle including: Gender, Protection, HIV and AIDS, Accountability and do no harm philosophy.
Support and participate in emergency assessments and develop plans in the area for rapid and appropriate responses in consultation with line management as required.
Liaise with relevant technical advisers to assure programme quality and alignment to global, national and Concern standards.
Monitoring and Evaluation
Strengthen the monitoring and evaluating system through supporting M&E activities and implementing recommendations from such activities, such as surveys, baseline/endlines and monitoring visits.
Ensure accurate use of CMAM tools and review CWW internal tools for data gathering by each layer of the structure including community volunteers. Where tools are not available initiate drafting. Ensure data is synthesised using CMAM Report.
Ensure programme delivery is in line with Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS).
Ensure timely internal monthly reports as per the South Sudan funding tracker shared by the Programme Quality Unit.
Support and coordinate field missions of visitors including the regional and HQ based staff and external visitors such as consultants, donors and media with the PD and CD, as required.
- Be responsible for ensuring that donor strategy, donor guidelines, formats and processes are understood and being adhered to within Health and Nutrition programme implementation and procurement.
- Provide timely and good quality donor narrative and financial reporting in collaboration with the team and Programme Director
- Manage the relationship with the MoH partner in Kajo Keji and where, appropriate at national level.
- Ensure effective networking and coordination with relevant stakeholders, such as Government authorities, other NGOs, and UN operating in the Health and Nutrition sector at field level.
- Represent Concern to donors, clusters and other coordination fora and meetings at national level as required
- Contribute to the overall management and strategic planning of the country programme and the field office health and nutrition strategy.
- Assist in the recruitment of staff required for programme delivery.
- Train, mentor and coach senior project staff to build their capacity to effectively deliver their jobs with highest standards.
- Using talent spotting, identify and nurture potential in key national staff across the structure to strengthen programme delivery at all levels. Ensuring JDs are well understood by staff.
- Nurture team spirit in the team.
- Ensure that all staff are provided with the necessary support and advice to carry out their duties particularly as they relate to IMCI, CMAM, other community based approaches, behaviour change approaches and emergency response.
Finance, Admin and Logistics
- Monitor and manage programme expenditure and budgets, ensuring resources are optimally utilized and spending is in line with Concern financial procedures and Donor requirements.
- Lead in monthly financial review or expenditure against programme plan and implement revisions as required.
- Liaise with the and H&N and support team, and Systems Director through coordinated planning to ensure efficient and timely procurement and use of supplies necessary for the smooth running of the programme.
- Oversee the systems function of the field office including supply chains, procurement, stores, fleet management, offices and accommodations.
- Ensure the Health and Nutrition team carry out their work in accordance with Concern’s security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and the Security Management Plan (SMP).
- Assist the security advisor with security analysis through the sharing of important security information collected through field work.
- Participate in the revision of SOPs and the SMP when necessary and other security related duties when necessary.
- Monitor and report on the security status in the programme area to the CD, Safety and Security Coordinator and PD.
- Organise and chair weekly and ad-hoc security meetings at the field level and share minutes with the Security Focal Group, CD, Safety and Security Coordinator and PD.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director or the line manager
Your skills and experience will include:
- Master’s Degree in medicine, public health, nursing, midwifery or equivalent qualification
At least 5years’ experience of managing health and nutrition projects with a minimum of 3 year overseas experience preferably with an international NGO and in insecure environments
Basic knowledge and experience implementing multi-sectoral humanitarian programmes.
Demonstrable experience of team building and working in a participatory manner.
Ability to work on own initiative.
Experience in CMAM including community mobilisation and in IMCI or PHC
Experience in managing mobile health and nutrition clinics
Experience in behaviour change approaches
Experience in donor reporting and proposal writing, budgeting and financial monitoring processes
Experience in monitoring and evaluation including SMART surveys and SQUAEC
Strong staff management, capacity building and supervision skills
Familiarity with complex and insecure emergency context and experience of security management.
Experience of mainstreaming equality, gender, DRR, HIV and AIDS.
Fluent written and spoken English
- Specific training in the prevention and treatment of malnutrition.
- Work experience in South Sudan or Horn of Africa Region.
- Working and management experience with OFDA, IrishAid and other donors projects
- Experience working with health ministries, networking and donor relations.
- Knowledge of Concern Policies and Programming Approaches.
- Previous experience of Results Based Management approach.
- Previous experience in implementing an integrated programme.
- Previous experience working with Stabilization Centres for malnutrition
- Experience using HMIS, DHIS, Epi-Info and other data management and analysis programmes
We would also like:
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation.
- Good communication and training / capacity building skills.
- Flexible, patient and adaptable to a changing environment.
- Ability to work under pressure with numerous deadlines, etc.
- Knowledge of computer applications i.e. Microsoft word, Excel, communications systems.
- Ability to live and work in a close team environment.
- Prepared to work and live in a challenging and remote location.
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net/jobs/international/vacancy/health--nutrition-coordinator-1074/1092/description/ by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be shortlisted on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.