Finance and Administrative Assistant
New Delhi (India)
Vacancy no.: DC/NEWDELHI/GS/2020/02
Publication date: 30 July 2020
Application deadline (midnight India time): 15 August 2020
Job ID: 2785
Department: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Organization Unit: DWT/CO-New Delhi
Location: New Delhi
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in India.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is INR 784,918 yearly, less deductions for medical and pension.
Work in Freedom (WIF) is an ILO development cooperation programme aiming to reduce vulnerability to forced labour of women and girls in South and West Asia funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID). WIF targets women and girl migrants originating from India, Bangladesh and Nepal and as well as in receiving countries in India, Jordan, Lebanon and Gulf countries specifically in sectors such as domestic and garment work. While the programme is implemented in respective countries, it’s management is coordinated from the Decent Work Team’s Office for South Asia in Delhi and includes a Chief Technical Adviser based in Beirut, teams of National Programme Coordinators in each country office as well as administrative and financial support staff. The programme is currently in its second phase, which began in 2018 and extends till 2023.
The Administrative and Finance Assistant will provide administrative and financial support for the management and implementation of the project’s activities in abidance with ILO accountability standards.
The Administrative and Finance Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator (India) and overall supervision on the Chief Technical Adviser (based in Beirut). She/he is expected to work closely with other project team members and the ADFIN Unit in Delhi.
1. In coordination with relevant departments in HQ (BUDCT, PARDEV, FUNDAMENTALS) and in liaison with the project team members, provide substantive and administrative support for the successful delivery of the project activities. This includes processing entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of records and files in accordance with the ILO financial rules and regulations.
2. Review financial reports under Implementation Agreements, Purchase Orders and Consultant Contracts in India and regional level. Ensure follow-up correspondence with partners for timely completion of activities and submission of reports. Process payments against Financial Progress Reports (FPR) submitted by implementation partners and other contracts under the overall supervision of the NPC and CTA.
3. Assist in project management and administrative support services. Advise and assist project staff with interpretation of ILO administrative rules, regulations and procedures. Make travel and hotel reservations, prepare travel authorizations and assemble information pertinent to the purpose of travel.
4. Participate in the organization of special meetings and coordinate all important administrative arrangements for conducting workshops/seminars, trainings under the country programme outcomes. Provide information via appropriate formats for updation of ILO WIF project page.
5. Perform liaison duties with concerned government ministries at the state and central level in India for required clearances, requests for meetings and follow-up.
6. Advise and assist the Chief Technical Adviser, NPC (India), experts and consultants on all aspects of administration related matters such as visa, licenses, security internal coordination, documentation and communication structures, including key managerial practices and standards. Provide interpretation of ILO administrative rules, regulations and procedures.
7. Prepare background information, detailed cost estimates, monthly, quarterly and ad hoc reports for use in programme and budget preparations. Participate in budget analysis and projections as required. Provide timely information to constituents and donor upon request.
8. Assist the CTA and M&E Officer in financial planning including compiling cost estimates, budget analysis, projections and monitoring. Monitor the fund flow situation and initiate appropriate budget revision in consultation with the CTA.
9. Carry out operations required for expenditures under technical cooperation funding, ensuring the most rational use of the funds. This includes making calculations, requesting funds, checking supporting justifying documents and making payments.
10. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Completion of secondary school education with formal training in accounting and/or finance and administrative field.
Five/Six years of progressively responsible administrative and finance work. Professional training in administrative and finance field would be an added advantage. Similar experience with the United Nations Common System or an international organization is desirable. Practical experience on ERP , standard office software packages, email and automated information management system required by the work unit (e.g. WORD, EXCEL, PowerPoint). Experience of dealing with confidential matters with discretion. Knowledge of the relevant project and programme area and the Office’s operations would be ideal.
Excellent knowledge of the working language of the duty station and a good knowledge of English (oral, comprehension and written skills).
- Demonstrate knowledge of programme and budget management and thorough understanding of a wide range of administrative policies, procedures and protocol
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, organize own schedule, perform routine work independently, meet deadlines and adapt to changing demands and multitasking. Knowledge and understanding of a complex body of financial and administrative rules, guidelines and procedures.
- Knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Good analytical skills. Ability to reason and make sound judgements.
- Ability to maintain financial records and prepare clerical accounting reports and statements.
- Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion.
- Must display high standards of ethical conduct.
- Proficient in basic computer software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Reader) and ability to use other software packages required by the Office.
- Ability to evaluate correspondence and inquiries for best course of action.
- Ability to respond to work related inquiries in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to obtain services from other work units inside or outside the office for completion of tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to clarify information.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
ILO is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates,irresepctive of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.