Deputy Project Coordinator - PlayMatters
IRC is seeking a Deputy Project Coordinator for a five-year project, “PlayMatters”, funded by the LEGO Foundation. This position will be a part of the larger PlayMatters initiative to increase play-based learning opportunities for nearly 1 million pre-primary and primary school aged refugee and host community children impacted by the humanitarian crises in East Africa and living in Tanzania, Ethiopia and Uganda. This project aims to build children’s social, emotional, cognitive, physical and creative skills through play in their homes, schools, and communities and will be implemented in partnership with War Child Holland, Plan International, Ubongo, Behavioral Insights Team and Innovations for Poverty Action. PlayMatters applies behavioral science and human-centered design as well as adult behavior change theories to transform parents, caregivers, teachers, and policy makers into change agents of playful learning, leading to improved learning and well-being for children.
The Deputy Project Coordinator will be responsible to assist with overall project coordination in country. ensuring the project achieves the expected results in Uganda and is implemented in accordance with the donor agreement, donor regulations, and internationally recognized quality of assistance standards. S/he will assist in ensuring effective design and implementation of technical and operational project activities throughout all stages of the project. S/he will provide oversight support to project implementing staff to ensure that delivery is to the desired standards, on time and compliant to donor and in-country guidelines. S/he will also support engagements with other key stakeholders required to achieve results including the government the UN and other humanitarian coordination actors, the PlayMatters Consortium and other implementing agencies outside of the consortium. S/he will be expected to work collaboratively with the IRC’s Sector technical coordinators, operations team, and the finance team to support coordination, integration, and coherence of the project with other IRC Uganda sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Senior Project Coordinator to provide day to day guidance, follow up and oversight support to ensure long-term and short-term priorities are on track.
- Co- lead and coordinate key project staff during the development of project annual work plans, phased budgets and performance plans.
- Monitor project progress and compliance to set results, planned schedules, priorities, and performance standards reporting and communications priorities
- Guide, monitor and maintain high levels of support for supervisees and other project staff development, accountability, and overall performance.
- Contribute to day to day project related communications and follow up with in-country senior management, staff, and partners.
- Work closely with supervisees and relevant in country departments to guide, plan, monitor, and verify appropriate use of the project resources
- Ensure that program documentation and donor reports are of high quality, timely and comply with internal IRC requirements and project donor requirements.
- Ensure inter-departmental and inter-sectoral collaboration within IRC Uganda with other sectors
- Delegated representation of the Senior Project Coordinator as required.