Chief Technical Advisor on SDG based-National Planning and Financing
Colombo (Sri Lanka)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the provision of technical and advisory support especially in the area of Macro Economic Analysis and Economic planning. Offering technical assistance to strengthen systems and structures that support the development and the implementation of a National Development Framework (NDF) and provide sound financial management.
- Supporting the development of an internal pro-doc and an external communication pitch for the government’s stakeholder consultation.
- Ensure that the project resources, aligned with the overall project resources are effectively used to achieve set project outputs and outcomes
- Liaise with the Programme Quality and Design Analyst of UNDP to ensure project quality and the operational compliance with UNDP rules and regulations
- Performing other tasks as instructed by the Policy and Engagement Team and the Senior Economic Advisor
- Participating in relevant Government and development partner task forces, working groups and/or theme groups
- Ensure strengthening Gender and Social Inclusion work through project interventions;
- Ensure that all activities are prepared in a timely manner and implemented in accordance with stated outcomes and performance indicators;
- Prepare Annual Work Plans, Quarterly Work Plans and other documents for the approval of the UNDP’s Policy and Engagement Analyst in close liaison with the Senior Economic Advisor to ensure project resources, aligned with overall project resources are effectively used to achieve set project outputs and outcomes;
- Liaise with the UNDP Programme Quality and Design Analyst for assuring project quality and the operational compliance with the UNDP rules and regulations;
- Organize project management meetings on a regular basis and maintain Minutes and Administrative Procedures;
- Consulting with UNDP’s Policy and Engagement Team and the Senior Economic Advisor on any issues that require the Team Leaders’ attention, including issues related to deviation from the approved work plans and deviation from the approved target and/or budget;
- Prepare key operational reports including an inception, mid-term and final report in addition to six-monthly progress reports, summarizing findings, achievements, conclusions and recommendations on the progress of the project in the country as per the requirements;
- Facilitate the process of monitoring and evaluation of project as per UNDP requirements and procedures;
- Supervise the development of knowledge products (including brochures, briefs, documents on lessons learnt, evaluation reports);
- Facilitate the dissemination of information about the objectives, progress, and achievements of the project;
- Take the lead, coordinate and participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings related to the project;
- Build the project’s reputation in the knowledge networks to draw on and disseminate best practices and lessons learnt with national and international stakeholders;
- Create and foster good working relationships with the media (social media, newspapers and journals, radio, and television) and liaise with the UNDP Communications team on matters of external visibility
- Facilitate the process to manage knowledge and contribute to accelerating SDGs implementation on Macro Economic sector including focus on poverty, environment, economic growth, employment etc.
- Lead recruitment planning and day-to-day management of all project personnel (staff, consultants and contractors);
- Develop terms of reference and technical specifications of staff, consultants and contractors;
- Coordinate and manage the recruitment process in consultation with the Policy & Engagement Team;
- Provide supervision and coordination of the work of project personnel to ensure delivery of project outputs and outcomes in a timely manner
- Taking initiative with country office support to develop effective networks for National Development Planning and Finance with key counterparts/stakeholders in government, DFI, private sector and other development partner agencies in the UN system.
- Develop a concept note (to be endorsed by the government) for establishment of a comprehensive risk management capacity under the national development planning framework
- Based on the concept note support the establishment of a comprehensive risk framework (comprising aspects of identifying risks, likelihood and severity, risk mitigation/management measures and costing/financing of initiatives)
- Support the development of a Joint Programme (JP) on the SDG based Programmatic Bond. Liaise with the MoF, Central Bank and other relevant ministries/agencies on the development and finalization of the JP;
- Preparation of necessary analytical and context papers for a scoping/pre-DFA mission of UNDP and other agencies that would form a pre-cursor for the NDF launch with concurrence of the government.
- Responsible for identifying and using approaches to strengthen partnerships between all stakeholders
- Acts as the project focal point and assure excellent communications and working relations with donors, government partners, implementing partners etc.
- Responsible for advocating an promoting the use of new technologies to improve efficiency, transparency and accountability at all levels of sub-national governments
- Support UNDP to engage and coordinate partnerships with National authorities related to the development of the NDP, country level institutions, bilateral and multilateral donors, UN Agencies and civil society.
- Innovation, ability to make new and useful ideas work, and openness to the use of new technologies to improve local governance systems
- People Management
- Communication. The ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work deliverables
- Gender Sensitivity and ability to mainstream
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or a related area.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible work experience in development sector with experience in local governance and local development.
- Experience managing and coordinating projects, specifically with government projects.
- Excellent quantitative and analytic skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset.
- Fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil with strong English Communication Skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.