Business Development Intern - Unpaid
Arlington (United States of America)
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”
unpaid internship is an entry-level role that will introduce undergraduate and graduate students to how international nongovernmental organizations (INGOs) secure funding and expand their programmatic reach. The Business Development Intern will work with a new, growing team to advance the organization’s global growth strategy and targets, while gaining concrete experience in proposal development and management; market intelligence and institutional competitiveness; and democracy, rights and governance programs with a variety of international donors.
From late August to late December, the Business Development Intern will provide research, logistical and administrative support to IFES’ Business Development Team. This is a fully remote position; we are open to candidates based anywhere in the United States.
At the direction of the Business Development Specialist, the Business Development Intern will:
- Conduct and communicate research on market intelligence and business opportunities from international development donors including USAID, U.S. Department of State, DFID/FCO, Global Affairs Canada and Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
- Write preliminary drafts for proposal components; internal and external communications; and briefings
- Conduct analysis of IFES submitted proposals, identifying sections for internal dissemination of best practices
- Work with business development team to map existing partnerships and identify potential new partnerships with other international development organizations
- Participate in editing and fact-checking reports, proposals and newsletters
- Cover meetings, hearings and events, providing notes and readouts
- Support analysis and communication of internal business development trends
- Provide logistical and administrative support including preparing follow-up and other material for donor meetings, internal communications materials and organizing our internal Business Development site
Other duties, as required**Perks:**
Your supervisor will create opportunities for you to network both inside and outside of the organization, and participate in internal and external professional development opportunities
You will work with a small, dynamic team, allowing you to gain tangible, resume-building skills and references
You have the opportunity to work across teams, including colleagues in our Arlington, VA headquarters and 20+ field offices around the world
* Current undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college/university (majors in non-profit management, public affairs, political science, international relations/development, governance or innovation and entrepreneurshipor a related field are preferred)
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: you are a participant in a university-funded program, you are a participant in a government-funded fellowship program, you are receiving academic credit for internship experience or an internship is required for your graduate program
- Previous work or internship(s) experience with an INGO or other nonprofit preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Fluency in English is required; other language skills are preferred