Gender Programme Specialist
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator in the Maldives, and in close consultation with the Regional Director for UN Women’s Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, the Gender Programme Specialist will strengthen the capacities of the UN Country Team (UNCT) by supporting analysis on the gendered dimensions of political social and economic trends, and inputs to the preparation of country programming documents including, the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and Joint Work Plans. The Gender Programme Specialist will also support national strategies setting, provide assistance to the development and implementation of collaborative and joint programs- to support their gender-responsiveness, develop a medium-term project on gender and mobilize for resources, and support the monitoring of progress on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Additionally, the Gender Programme Specialist will provide technical support and guidance to the Office of the Resident Coordinator in the roll-out of the UNCT System-Wide Action Plan Gender Equality Scorecard tool and follow up actions to support the implementation of the recommended action recommended actions. She/he will work in close collaboration with UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific staff, with UNCT members, program and operations teams of the agencies and partners from the Government, civil society, private sector, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors in ensuring the success of UNCT efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical support to the RC and UNCT in promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) in the country:
- Support the RCO and the UNCT in preparation and implementation of country programming processes and products, including the CCA and UNSDCF and UN programs, including through the preparation of relevant analysis and research of the gendered dimensions of the political, social and economic situation in the country.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of the UNSDCF Results Matrix and the corresponding UNSDCF M&E Plan to promote the effective monitoring and reporting on GEWE related results.
- Contribute to mainstreaming gender equality and women’s empowerment into all collaborative and joint programs related to the UNSDCF implementation, through close consultation with the UN Gender Outcome Group (GOG), all UN agencies and the Chair/co-chairs of the UNSDCF Working Groups.
- Support the roll-out of the UNCT System-wide Action Plan Gender Equality Scorecard and other accountability tools and processes, to ensure that the UN tracks and is accountable for GEWE during the UNSDCF implementation.
- Coordinate capacity building efforts on gender mainstreaming at all stages of the UNSDCF implementation (bi-annual work planning, monitoring, annual reporting and evaluation), in close consultation with other UN agencies.
- Advocacy support, facilitation of knowledge building and resource mobilization for gender equality and the empowerment of women:
- Support the RCO to identify and engage with gender equality advocates (both within government and non-civil society, to support their effective engagement and participation in decision-making processes that shape lives of women and girls in the Maldives
- Support the RC and UNCT in forging strategic partnerships at the national and local levels to promote GEWE on emerging issues
- Develops concept notes and project proposals for locally-tailored resource mobilization efforts
- Based on UNSDCF/UNDAF and joint initiatives, supports joint resource mobilization and partnering efforts lead by the RC
- Proactively and substantively support the RCO to implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners- in close collaboration with the UN Communication Group
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the Maldives policy goals on GEWE in specific sectoral/thematic areas, according to priorities set by the RC and UNCT
- Program Management:
- Ensure smooth implementation of RCO Gender program
- Manage the technical, operational, financial and administrative sides of the Gender program and any residual works of legacy Gender projects
- Monitor program implementation and manage program with a view to ensuring the achievement of intended results
- Prepare analytical, progress and other reports on the program experiences and results in the Maldives, for sharing with RC, UNCT, donors and others relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues and the international development agenda.
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to work independently, manage competing priorities and perform well under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build and sustain relationships with key constituents (internal/external/bilateral/ multilateral/public/private; civil society and academia).
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in gender, women’s studies, social sciences, international development, international relations or other development-related fields or Bachelor’s degree with 4 or more years’ of relevant experience
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience post-Master’s degree or minimum 4 years progressively responsible experience post-Bachelor’s degree in development, focused on providing policy advice, technical assistance and/or programming around gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights issues; part of which should include previous field experience with the UN or an international development organization
- Experience writing analytical documents and reports
- Experience in coordination and advocacy
- Good knowledge of the UN system
- Experience with implementing gender mainstreaming agendas across a variety of sectors, including experience gender mainstreaming in governmental bodies
- Experience working with women’s movements, and civil society and familiarity with women's rights organizations and networks in the region and globally.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Dhivehi
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The Recruitment of this position will include a screening process (written test/technical test); followed by an interview. Details of the process and dates will be shared ONLY with shortlisted candidates.
The take home pay will be approximately MVR 32,000
For more information please email Zeeniya, firstname.lastname@example.org