Business Transformation Officer, Platform Architecture, P3
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the agility required in humanitarian operations, be they manmade or in a natural disaster setting. TEC Division continues to increase its activities to meet the constantly growing demand from the organization and implement the initiatives related to digital transformation.
The Architecture branch (TECA) is seeking a Business Transformation Officer with a passion and vision for building quality technology solutions to support WFP operations. Reporting to the Chief of IT Architecture Branch of the Technology Division, the Business Transformation Officer will play an important role in transforming business objectives into a cohesive and effective WFP Digital Landscape. They will use their substantial technical knowledge, with a focus on technical solution architecture, to analyse business needs and build the blueprint of a modern digital foundation for WFP. Working with the Architecture Team, Solution Architects and other TEC units, the Business Transformation Officer will also be part of thought leadership activities and provide strategic and tactical advice to WFP business units.
- Develop and evolve WFP's digital platform strategy, aligned to and prioritized by business priorities;
- Support the development of functional work plans, ensuring compliance with the digital platform strategy;
- Continuously improve guidelines, processes and procedures to assist Business Relationship Management, Business Analysis and IT Project Management functions;
- Participate in identifying business needs and propose well-researched ideas (by maintaining up-to-date knowledge of technology products) for new or improved systems and solutions that assist in meeting WFP objectives;
- As a principal role in the TEC Product Journey, use evidence-based criteria to provide in-depth analysis of IT solutions: make key decisions (example: "Buy before Build"), identify risks and prepare related documentation to support the design and delivery of digital solutions;
- Seek out and establish collaboration mechanisms with all teams and branches of the Technology Division, and subject-matter experts from Business Units, to ensure WFP's digital landscape is effective, efficient, secure and robust;
- Build and nurture relationships with the business counterparts to understand and anticipate the direction of the business and ensure alignment of solutions with changing business requirements and priorities;
- Manage business expectations in servicing business needs and oversee success of solutions, seeking ongoing opportunities to support or increase the business value from those solutions;
- Propose change and continuous improvements that supports business capabilities and keep WFP's digital landscape in good health by determining when existing solutions should be retired, rebuilt or transitioned to off-the-shelf solutions to ensure delivering value for business priorities;
- Manage a team of staff and/or contractors (as applicable), providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Broad, conceptual understanding of solution architecture trends with demonstrated proficiency of technologies, frameworks, and languages.
- Ability to work on different levels of abstractions; application frameworks, service-oriented architecture (SOA), microservices, cloud solutions, containers, networking & infrastructure, IAM/CIAM etc.
- Deep understanding of modern API platform design, security practices, data architectures.
- Technically curious with appetite to learn and master emerging technologies.
- Communicate the alignment between business objectives, requirements and solution architecture to make it accessible, understandable and usable in support of decision-making by those involved, at various levels, in technological and architectural decision.
- At least five years’ experience in designing and implementing platform architecture and cloud-native application development projects;
- Experience working in organizations that apply: Agile, DevOps, Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment (CI/CD), and Human-Centred Design (HCD);
- Demonstrated experience in managing technology projects and supervision of team members;
- Experience in transforming business trends into target architectures and new solution designs.
- Building consensus, particularly in the face of competing design requirements;
- Ability to influence / coach solution architects on modern evolutionary platform architecture principles and practices;
- Well organized and detail oriented with strong judgement/decision-making skills;
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple responsibilities simultaneously;
- Ability to plan and organize work and communicate effectively;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and to meet strict deadlines;
- Ability to deal tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Advanced University degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics or Engineering or other related fields or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Fluency in oral and written English is essential.
Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Mobility is the essence of WFP and continues to be a core contractual requirement. These positions are rotational which means that you shall be subject to the regular reassignment process to any other location on a period of 2 to 4 years unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational.
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year. Depending on the duty station, the position may be eligible for Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. More details on https://icsc.un.org/
Tuesday, 15 September 2020
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.