Senior Project Officer (Team Leader)
Post Number : ED/PA 162
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-SEP-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of Contract: One (1) year with the possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of fundsOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Global Education Monitoring Report (GEM Report) is an editorially independent, authoritative, and evidence-based annual report that monitors progress towards the global education goal and targets adopted by the UN in September 2015. The Report is developed by an independent team and published annually by UNESCO; it is widely recognized as an indispensable reference tool for global education policy leaders.
The GEM Report is seeking to recruit a Senior Project Officer (Operations) to be based in Paris with the following duties and tasks:
Under the overall authority of the Assistant-Director General for Education, and the direct supervision of the Director of the GEM Report, the Senior Project Officer (Operations) will be responsible for the project management, fundraising, partnership coordination, human resources and administrative management, and will assist the Director in the executive management of the Global Education Monitoring Report. In that connection he/she will:
Project management and fund mobilization
- Oversee the overall management of the operations and budget of the GEM Report Team;
- Manage relations with the Advisory Board, GEM Report funders and other GEM Report stakeholders. Organise the annual Advisory Board meetings, draft background documents and coordinate its nomination and membership processes;
- Ensure efficient and timely management of the annual budget, and prepare regular Management Reports to GEM Report funders;
- Lead fundraising efforts to ensure the sustainability of the GEM Report’s activities by identifying innovative sources of funding, and establishing and maintaining relations with key donors. Draft the relevant project documents as necessary;
- Lead negotiations of funding agreements and project proposals with governments, international organizations, private sector and civil society partners;
- Contribute to the development of results-based management concepts and policies and ensure adequate monitoring and reporting of results. Provide other strategic guidance to the Director and Senior Management Team in relation to the operations of the GEM Report team;
Coordination of GEM Report partnerships
- Manage the coordination and engagement of a growing portfolio of partnerships, in line with the GEM Report 2019-2024 Strategy and with particular support for GEM regional reports;
- In collaboration with the Senior Communication and Advocacy Officer, identify and maximize opportunities for GEM Report engagement in multi-stakeholder platforms and initiatives;
- Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships through networking and advocacy with UN system partners, international organizations, civil society and private sector to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities to position the GEM Report, leveraging the value of the GEM Report’s quality research and evidence to inform and influence policy dialogue while preserving the organization's editorial independence.
- Maintain strong working relations with UNESCO internal services, Regional Bureaus, and Field Offices.
- Manage the staff of the administration team under his/her supervision;
- Coordinate actions covering the entire span of human resources activities, including but not limited to recruitment, training, performance appraisals;
- Support team members to efficiently and effectively deliver the programme, including through strong internal team communications, team building activities and proactive steps to maintain a good working environment;
- Monitor support services including procurement, travel, communication, events, and logistics.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in development studies, public policy, business administration or other social science disciplines.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in project management, including budgetary management, of which preferably 3 years acquired at international level.
- Proven track record in effectively working with different stakeholders and working on complex, multi-stakeholder partnerships involving multiple types of partnerships, whether within UN, Government, NGOs, donors or foundations.
- Experience in managing a team.
- Demonstrated experience in resource mobilization.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrated capacity to conduct successful fundraising operations and ability to develop innovative funding strategies;
- Demonstrated ability to work innovatively to tight deadlines with minimal supervision and in a self-motivated manner;
- Good knowledge of, and commitment to, the GEM Report’s aims, and good understanding of expectations of the GEM Report’s stakeholders;
- Excellent coordination, project management, negotiation skills and leadership skills;
- Good understanding of education and development issues;
- Ability to articulate clearly and analyse complex issues both in written and oral communications;
- Proven ability to quickly grasp complex issues and take initiative;
- Demonstrated capacity to work under pressure as well as in challenging work environment;
- Excellent knowledge and autonomy in use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, email and internet.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and a good knowledge of the other language.
- Experience in publishing.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.