Consultancy to develop a Web Platform for the Judiciary’s Criminal Procedure Bench Book
The Judiciary is an independent, impartial, transparent and accountable institution anchored under Article 159 of the Constitution. Its mission is to deliver justice fairly, impartially and expeditiously, promote equal access to justice, and advance local jurisprudence by upholding the rule of law. The Judiciary been carrying out research and developing knowledge products for continuous capacity development of judicial officers for better administration of justice. Pursuant to Article 48 and 161 (1) (a) of the Constitution of Kenya, and section 5 (2) (c) of the Judicial Service Act, the Chief Justice of the Republic of Kenya appointed a Technical Committee to develop a Criminal Procedure Bench Book in 2018, aimed at providing judicial officers with a comprehensive guide and reference resource on all aspects of criminal procedure. Consequently, the Bench Book was developed and launched in September 2018, with IDLO’s support. Since then, the bench book has become a vital reference for judicial officers, prosecutors, investigators, police officers, advocates, probation officers, paralegals, and witness protection officers, practitioners, students, and academics.
To enhance access to and utility of the Criminal Procedure Bench Book, IDLO is collaborating with the Judiciary to develop a web based interactive platform for the Bench Book. Here, judicial officers, active litigants and other court users can interact with the content, make recommendations and exchange information that shapes jurisprudence on criminal justice in Kenya. This technological strategy for dissemination of the Criminal Procedure Bench Book is intended to facilitate access to information, encourage its use and real time consolidation of feedback for criminal justice reforms.
IDLO seeks to engage a Consultant to develop a web platform for the Criminal Procedure Bench Book, 2018.
The Consultant will be stationed at the Judiciary for three months, working under the direction and supervision of the ICT Directorate of the Judiciary.
The Consultant’s duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing an inception report detailing the understanding of the Terms of Reference and deliverables and a proposed work plan indicating clear milestones and timelines
- Develop a detailed proposal of features and operation of the web platform, in consultation with the ICT Directorate of the Judiciary and the Technical Committee for development of the Criminal Procedure Bench Book
- Develop a dynamic, reliable, interactive, database driven, web-based platform for the hosting the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book (Including sections for access, interactions between users, feedback and recommendations)
- Develop a user friendly integration with the Judiciary ICT Directorate and Kenya Law websites
- Implement web site security measures, such message encryption
- Monitor the system for intrusions or denial of service attacks, and report security breaches to appropriate personnel
- Administer internet/intranet infrastructure, including components such as web, file transfer protocol (FTP), news and mail servers
- Incorporate Search Engine Optimization features and comprehensive web statistics analytical tools into the website
- Perform content upload/migration as necessary for any website changes/upgrades
- Test the utility of the web platform as a pilot, to guarantee its quality and functionality of the web platform for court users
- Facilitate an official launch of the web platform (including a practical demonstration of access and use during the launch)
- Deliver training of select Judiciary ICT officers and Kenya Law staff on the management and updating of the web platform and handover the source code and management guidelines
- Deliver training on the operations and maintenance of the web platform for all relevant Judiciary stakeholders
- Develop a detailed documentation for the tool to ensure transfer of knowledge through on the job training and interactive sessions with user
- Compile the materials on training, transfer of Knowledge, maintenance and operations of the web platform
Within six months from date of engagement.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Consultant(s) should have the following skills, qualification and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or an equivalent academic qualification from an institution recognized in Kenya.
- Certification for web technologies including but not limited to HTML, Mobile Application Programming, and PHP etc.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in defining business solutions in an IT/software development environment, web design and maintenance.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution including integrity, impartiality, confidentiality and work ethic
- Professionalism in engaging with the ICT Directorate and other relevant office of the Judiciary
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility of ideas and time
- Fluent oral and writing skills in English is required
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Services will be performed in the Republic of Kenya. The assignment will be undertaken for 90 calendar days, starting August 20, 2020 to November 18, 2020. The assignment is output based, and at times the flexibility of scheduling and availability might be required to ensure completion of work during time frame.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.**
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Please apply through the following ink: https://www.impactpool.org/jobs/628849