Software Architect (P-3)
The Hague (Netherlands)
The OPCW’s Verification Division works towards achieving chemical disarmament and preventing the re-emergence of chemical weapons through participation in the planning and oversight of inspections at both military and chemical industry facilities. The division also manages declarations while maintaining and strengthening the scientific capabilities of the Organisation, especially its laboratory component. The division also conducts Technical Assistance Visits at the request of States Parties.
The Division is responsible for the day-to-day operation of OPCW’s verification regime. It is a key element of the Secretariat, using trustworthy and science-based information to implement all aspects of the Convention including decisions from the Policy Making Organs.
- Contract Type
Total Salary (including post adjustment)
- Closing Date
We are currently looking for a Software Architect to strengthen the Data Analytics, Reporting and Quality Control Section team of the Verification Division (VER). The new team member will be tasked with designing, coding, developing and implementing IT related requirements, streamlining the information management data analysis systems and tools and as well as providing assistance to VER Organisational Units and State Parties.
Following the organisation's quality assurance principles and the Software Development's methodology, the Software Architect is responsible for managing application development projects for VER related IT Systems, analyse business requirements in cooperation with stakeholders and design, code, test and implement client/server-based applications while keeping abreast with new developments related to software architecture. Other tasks that will be performed by the Software Architect include performing acceptance tests, carrying out initial installations, provide software support and post-implementation evaluation of the systems performance and functionality. As well as you produce detailed technical and system documentation for the accomplished work.
To view the complete job outline please click here:
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics or other relevant field;
A first level university degree in combination with qualifying experience (minimum 7 years) may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least five years of experience with an advanced degree (or seven years with a first-level degree) as software architect with at least 3 years’ experience with Microsoft Technology Stack.
- At least five years of experience with an advanced degree (or seven years with a first-level degree) in planning, design, development, implementation, operation, and/or maintenance of complex integrated systems in web and client/server environment;
- Experience using collaborative platforms like Azure DevOps;
- Experience in continuous deployment/integration;
- Experience in managing software development projects following an industry-standard project management methodology, such as PRINCE2 or PMP.
- Experience in implementing application systems in a highly secured environment;
- Experience in writing technical documentation, implementation manuals or user guides;
- Experience in working for an international organisation and/or in a multi-cultural environment;
- Experience with Document Management and/or Enterprise Content Management Systems.
Skills and Competencies
- Solid knowledge of Agile Software Development methodologies and practical knowledge of developing, testing, deploying and maintaining medium to large web-based and client/server applications;
- Solid experience with client-side frameworks and libraries such as Angular, React, Razor or Blazor;
- Knowledge of the Qlik Sense Business Intelligence (BI) or similar platform;
Proficiency with XML and XSL transformation;
- Qlik Sense or similar BI and one or more Microsoft certifications in the area of software development are highly desirable;
- Certification in IT standards for project and service management such as PRINCE2, PMP, PMP-ACP and ITIL is desirable;
- Ability to analyse problems and react quickly in problematic situations with minimum supervision;
- High-level understanding of the business processes and the stakeholders involved;
Excellent organisational skills;
- Must be project-oriented, customer-focused and responsive with excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
Fluency in English is essential and a good working knowledge of one of the other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) is desirable.
This fixed-term appointment is for the duration of two years with a six-month probationary period, and is subject to the OPCW Staff Regulations and Interim Staff Rules.
The OPCW is a non-career organisation with limited staff tenure. The total length of service for Professional staff shall not exceed 7 years.
The Director-General retains the discretion to not make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. Several vacancies may be filled.
Only applications submitted before the closing date and through OPCW CandidateSpace will be considered. Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Important notice for applicants who are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system
Although headquartered in the Netherlands, the OPCW is not a regular Dutch employer but a public international organisation with its own special status. Please be advised that if you are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system, you will be excluded from this system as a staff member of the OPCW. You will consequently be insured under the organisation’s system. The above also applies to your dependents unless they are employed by a regular Dutch employer, they are self-employed in the Netherlands, or are receiving Dutch social security payments.
Please refer to the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment for more information about the possible consequences for you and your dependents, such as exclusion from ‘AWBZ’ and ‘Zorgverzekeringswet’ coverage: ‘Werken bij een internationale organisatie’.