GIS and Land Data Specialist
ICRAF through its host institution in Peru the International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a GIS and Land Data
Specialist, who will be responsible to coordinate and implement the generation of information supporting
decision making for agroforestry by stakeholders of the public and private sectors in the Peruvian Amazon
The position: The GIS and Land Data Specialist position will be based in Lima, Peru and will report to the
Principal Scientist and Regional Manager.
• Collaborate with the SHARED team, and support the implementation of SHARED-like format in
Peru across two interconnected projects:
o AGROFOR -to inform the implementation of Agroforestry Concessions in the region of
San Martin with minor interventions in the regions of Amazonas and Loreto,
o The CIFOR ICRAF engagement landscape of San Martin (engagement landscape / CIFOR
ICRAF 2020 2030 strategy)
• Be Responsible for the generation and use by identified stakeholders of maps, spatial models,
reports and statistics based on spatial analysis of socio-economic, biophysical data, and of
dashboards with the aim to:
o Inform the processes of decision making on agroforestry concession (Cesiones en Uso
para Sistemas Agroforestales), and the mapping and design of options for sustainable
land management (including agroforestry) in areas of implementation of Agroforestry
o Generating information and data bases that respond to the need of local stakeholders
and are compatible with regional spatial data platforms, and the technical content of
training tools for technicians and regional experts
• Lead the implementation of innovative facilitation approaches based on spatial information to
support decision making and prioritization of agroforestry interventions
• Master’s degree in in Geography, Forestry, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering, Biology,
ecology or associated field
• At least 6 years of experience required in the field
• Experience in integrating QGIS with R and building spatial models
• Good Knowledge of the tools for editing, analysis and dissemination of geospatial data, using a
GIS environment (ArcGis, QGIS, GVSIG, amongst others)
• Capable to design and compose cartographic documentation and its subsequent dissemination
and web publication
• Basic knowledge of programming tools for the automation of geospatial tasks and creation of
• Knowledge of OGC web services standards: WMS, WFS, WCS, WPS, SOS, GeoAPI
• Knowledge of SQL and database management, preferably PostgreSQL and PostGIS
• Good communication and document writing skills and development of technical content by
• Knowledge of regional spatial data platforms, management of spatial data bases and platforms
• Knowledge of regional government governance structures and multi-stakeholder platforms and
tools for local governance, zoning and soil use classifications
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Experience in facilitation
• Advanced level of MS Office
• Good command of the English and Spanish languages, both written and spoken
• Able to travel inside Peru
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• ICRAF is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R for D background and
is dedicated to generating and applying the best available knowledge on the diverse roles that
trees play in agricultural landscapes for the benefit of both farmers and the environment.
• The selected candidate will integrate a dynamic and rapidly growing team with exciting
opportunities and start a career in an international research center.
• ICRAF and CIP are members of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly
located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
• Six months term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.