Field Security Adviser
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
- The incumbent functions within the framework of the UN Security Management System, under the supervision of the Head of Support Services and general guidance of the UNOPS Chief of Security, coordinating directly with the local UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) office, if available. The position is responsible for providing effective and efficient security services to enable the safe conduct of local programmes and operations in the relevant geographical business unit/s. The incumbent promotes a compliance and client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and UN Security Management System regulations. He/she works closely with and advises Programme Management and personnel to plan for and resolve security related issues.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
- Advisory and technical
- Staff Development
- Team management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
3. Staff Development
4. Team Management
| 5. Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing |
Advanced university degree in social or political science, law, public administration, business management or security management is preferred
A first-level university degree in combination with an additional 4 years' relevant experience (9 in total) at the international level OR
A Technical/Professional Diploma in combination with an additional 6 years (11 in total) relevant, international and national experience OR
Secondary Diploma in combination with an additional 8 years’ (13 in total) relevant, international and national experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
Substantial experience (a minimum of 15 years) in civilian police/military may be accepted in lieu of formal education.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in international security management, with at least 3 years in a senior command or leadership role.
Demonstrated experience and exposure in cross-border and/or international security-related issues is required;
Direct experience with the United Nations Security Management System is a strong advantage;
Ability to produce Standing Operating Procedures/Security Risk Assessments/Security Plans in accordance with UNDSS methodology is an asset;
Proficiency in computer skills, including MS office, is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Arabic is preferred.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS official language is an asset
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA (Individual Contractual Agreement Contract level: IICA-2
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Damascus is not a UN Family Duty Station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.