CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER
Atlanta (United States of America)
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE.
The Chief Program Officer position is responsible for the overall development, expansion, integration and implementation of CARE’s program strategy and country office operations. The CPO leads the teams that provide direct impact, define and articulate our program strategies, resource those strategies with institutional donors, monitor results, and drive influence, innovation, and market-based approaches. This position provides an exciting opportunity to create cohesion and alignment across our program approaches to increase scale and impact in line with the mission and needs of CARE. The role will lead and model deep collaboration, partnership, and problem-solving between both field-based and “HQ” teams to maximize and scale impact. The Chief Program Officer is expected to play a key role both internally and externally communicating our theory of change, technical excellence, and strong results.
The successful candidate will be:
A strong communicator, capable of distilling our technical approaches into everyday language to explain or work to external audiences and gifted at communicating that messaging.
A problem-solver who can help to resolve barriers to allowing our teams to work seamlessly with one another.
A natural collaborator working across virtually every function in CARE while also liaising and driving strategy with other members of the CARE confederation.
Action-oriented, impatient and passionate about driving impact in the communities we serve
A strong exemplar of supporting an inclusive environment with diverse staff that reflects the communities where we work
Capable and enthusiastic about leading the organization in three key strategic areas: 1) Innovate to Achieve Impact @ Scale, 2) Pioneer and Build our Impact, Learning, Knowledge, and Accountability, and 3) Transform Our Operating Model to an Open Platform with a Focus on Re-Centering
The Chief Program Officer is a member of CARE USA’s Executive Management Team and participates actively in developing CARE USA’s overall strategic direction. The Chief Program Officer will report to the Chief Operating Officer and has direct management responsibility for: 1) VP, International Program Operations, 2) VP, Programs, 3) VP, Impact and Innovation, 4) VP, Humanitarian, and 5) AVP, Institutional Funding Strategies. This position will require international and domestic travel of up to 30% annually.
- Provide strong program leadership and execution
- Support fundraising efforts to enable the work
- Establish CARE externally as a thought leader in development and humanitarian response
- Advance internal culture change and capacity for innovation, partnerships, and external engagement
- Master’s Degree or an equivalent combination of a Bachelor’s Degree and experience
- Significant operational line management experience of large-scale programming
- Extensive experience leading across the full continuum of our programming from emergency response and humanitarian to long term development work
- Strong communicator and public speaker
- A deep commitment to the mission and values of CARE
- 10+ years of relevant experience working in a leadership position in the international development arena with increasing level of responsibilities
- Strong visionary and strategic thinker who can rally an organization behind ambitious goals
- Exceptional people manager who has managed complex, diverse, and geographically distributed teams
- Track record of building strong partnerships both internally and externally
- Ability to work across departments and persuade others over whom you do not have direct authority
- Ability to define objectives, develop and manage budgets, appropriately allocate resources and evaluate outcomes
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.