Freelance Human Rights Lawyer, Samos
A joint initiative of several grassroots organisations operating on Samos, and funded by Help Refugees and Aidhoc, seeks to engage a human rights lawyer, whose primary aim would be litigation and representation in cases of alleged human rights violations on behalf of asylum-seekers and refugees within the Greek asylum process.
This project will establish a referral pathway for asylum-seekers who wish to make a complaint or seek legal assistance with an issue outside of the asylum process. Such cases may include, but are not limited to, denial of access to essential health care services, negligence on behalf of health care professionals, unlawful incarceration, incarceration with inadequate or deficient facilities, and cases of sexual abuse and violence.
The ideal candidate for this role would be willing to relocate to Samos and to work on a freelance basis, but with a competitive monthly salary. He or she must have extensive knowledge of EU and Greek migration and asylum processes, and most importantly, passionate about human rights and justice
The candidate will work on the ground in Vathy town, Samos, and respond to the legal needs and cases as they arise. Primary tasks will include:
- Monitoring human rights violations against asylum-seekers and refugees residing in Vathy RIC and other locations on Samos island. In particular, police brutality and misconduct, false or unlawful imprisonment, and medical negligence and denial of access to essential healthcare services;
- Representation and litigation on behalf of asylum-seekers and refugees;
- Strategic litigation to European Court of Human Rights and other authoritative legal bodies;
- Monitoring the local asylum processes and civil protection services for cases of malpractice;
- Supervising a small team of legal interns;
- Regular reporting to donors and stakeholders;
- Working closely with other legal actors on the island to ensure close and effective cooperation and information exchange.
- Registered lawyer with a Greek bar association;
- Native Greek speaker, with fluent English language skills;
- Experience working in a legal capacity in the area of human rights;
- Awareness of ethical guidelines for the humanitarian field, including GDPR;
- Dedication to the pursuit of justice and due process in the field of migration;
- Willingness to work as a freelance lawyer, but with a stable monthly salary;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, while also leading a team;
- Ability and willingness to work in a dynamic and highly challenging environment, which may necessitate out-of-work hours
- Previous experience working in the field of migration, preferably with a focus on human rights;
- Experience of managing a team and supervising a project;
- Proficiency in one other language (e.g. French, Farsi, Arabic)
- Highly competitive salary;
- Office space;
- Support and close collaboration with a local private lawyer.
- The opportunity to work in a fulfilling and challenging role in the field of migration, offering direct and essential legal support to beneficiaries.
Applications will be accepted by Dimitrios Choulis.
Please send a cover letter and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be prepared to present the contact details of two professional references. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and recruitment will close as soon as a suitable candidate has been found.