Project Officer “Green Works” Programme (National Position)
Hours: 36 hours per week
Apply by: 20 Sept 2020
Do you have knowledge on and experience in the field of Private Sector Development? Are you driven by a desire to contribute to private sector development in North Africa? Do you have a good understanding of the entrepreneurial ecosystem scene in our target countries? Then Hivos is looking for you!
With its relatively young population, more and more young people each year need to find a sustainable living in North Africa. As a response to this, the Green Works programme aims to contribute to the creation of more economic opportunities for young women and men between the ages of 15 and 35 years in North Africa within the Green Economy.
Our vision is to empower young men and women to find a decent job in the Green Economy which Hivos defines as future proof. Such economies are anticipated to continue growing and will require young people to have a new skill set that is not tackled within the traditional education systems. In order to ensure that these economies are expanding in North Africa and that there is an adequate value chain supporting their growth, Hivos also aims to stimulate the formation of innovation clusters that are feeding these economies with viable business solutions.
To this end, the objectives of the programme are fourfold: (1) Innovation clusters are formed that enable businesses operating in the green and digital economies to scale (2) Business Development Support Organisations and employability hubs increase their capacities to implement job creation and private sector development activities beyond the programme support (3) Youth trained in 21st-century skills find jobs in future-proof employment economies and (4) Social enterprises operating in future-proof employment economies scale their businesses thereby creating new jobs.
Green Works is a continuation of previous programmes Hivos has been implementing in North Africa over the past five years: Mideast Creatives from 2014 to 2016, Co-Working for Sustainable Employment from 2016 to 2018 and Boosting Bottom-Up Societal Transformation (BOOST) in 2019. This collective endeavour has successfully supported more than 25 collaborative spaces in Algeria, Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia, and has helped to create more than 200 new businesses, scale more than 100 others and create more than 3,000 new job opportunities.
As a Project Officer Entrepreneurship support, you are responsible for the management and coordination of the technical assistance to sustainable enterprises (SEs) within the Green Works programme, implemented in Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia.
Accordingly your responsibilities entails the following:
· Manage the relationships with local BDSOs
· Ensure that partners deliver the capacity building program and deploys the funds to the beneficiaries on time and according to the budget as per the project plan.
· Participate in the selection of SEs at pitching competition panels to make sure that the awarded companies fulfil the selection criteria based on sectoral priorities, women’s empowerment and job creation objectives.
· Gather technical and financial reports submitted by partners and presenting them to the programme manager
· Coordinate support efforts for the ecosystem building partners and start-ups and act as the focal point for sustainable enterprises support-related activities
· Work close with the M&E officer to gather valuable data, making sure that the KPI targets are achieved
· Build linkages with angel investors, ensuring the impact investment trajectory of the project
· Coordinating the access to finance trajectory with external consultants, partners and beneficiaries
· Promote and build effective collaborations between local partners, collaborative spaces, local private sector and youth empowerment organisations
· Identify and develop synergies with other Hivos projects in the MENA region and Africa.
· Other tasks as requested by line manager as required.
You are answerable to the Programme Manager of Green Works and the Regional Director
MENA at Hivos in Beirut.
· You have a Bachelor’s degree at least in a relevant field (e.g.: Development, International Relations, Economics, and Entrepreneurship).
· You have relevant and demonstrable work experience: 5+ years in project management in the field of entrepreneurship development.
· You have experience working in project implementation and working in teams.
· You have affinity with international cooperation and knowledge of societal and economic developments in the MENA region
· Work experience in an international environment (prior experience in a non-governmental organization is a plus).
· You are well-organized, flexible, independent, decisive and energetic, with good management skills, and in possession of an entrepreneurial spirit and positive working attitude.
· You have excellent communication and social interaction skills, and fluent in both written and spoken English and Arabic. French is a plus.
· You are able to travel to project sites as requested.
· You must legally have the right to work in Tunisia (either as a national or already in possession of a work permit at the time of application deadline)
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Employment is offered as soon as possible for the period of one year with possible extension for a longer period. Depending on your experience and skills your salary will be in accordance with Hivos’ Tunisia-based salary scale and comparable to national salaries provided by other international NGOs in Tunisia.
For more information you can contact Mr. Ahmed Sameh, Programme Manager Green Works, email@example.com
Specific Employment Conditions for this vacancy
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as a foreign NGO in Tunisia, this position will be hosted at Al Bawsala, a Tunisian non-profit association, whose principal place of business is at 4, Rue Apollo XI, Cité Mahrajène Belvédère, Tunis 1082. A one year contract will be offered to the employee under Al Bawsala and accordingly, employment conditions of Al Bawsala will apply for this vacancy.
Upon the conclusion of Hivos’ registration in Tunis (and based on the employee’s performance) Hivos intends to transfer the employee’s contract under Hivos’ umbrella where Hivos’ Tunis Office employment conditions will apply.
The MENA program of Hivos contributes to political, societal and economic processes that aim at societal transformation to pluralist and democratic societies with respect for human rights and equal opportunities for all citizens. It collaborates citizen activists, creative entrepreneurs, coworking spaces and alternative financial mechanisms such as crowd funding and investments. **
Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Please apply by 20 Sept 2020. Both a letter of motivation and resume need to be submitted in English to Hivos via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference code: 40-038
Hivos reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
A minimum of three references will be checked prior to entering into service at Hivos.
Acquisition on the basis of this vacancy will not be appreciated.