Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officer "Green Works" Program (National Position)
Hours: Between 32-36 hours per week (To be determined based on availability of selected applicant and workload of assigned tasks.)
Apply by: September 26, 2020
Do you have experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning? Are you interested in contributing to private sector development in North Africa? Do you have good analytical and communication skills? Then Hivos is looking for you!
With its relatively young population, more and more young people need to find a steady job in North Africa. As a response to this, Hivos’ Green Works program aims to help create greater economic opportunities for young women and men between 15 and 35 within the “Green Economy.”
The program will enable young adults to find a decent job in economies that are low carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive. These “green” economies are expected to continue growing and will require young people to have new skills that are not covered by traditional education systems. At the same time, we need to ensure that green economies expand in North Africa and that they have an adequate value chain to support their growth. So Hivos also aims to stimulate the formation of innovation clusters to feed these future-proof economies with the right business solutions.
To this end, the objectives of the program are to:
Form innovation clusters that enable businesses operating in the green and digital economies to scale.
Increase the capacity of Business Development Support Organizations and employability hubs to create jobs and extend private sector development activities beyond the program’s support.
Help youth trained in 21st-century skills find jobs in future-proof employment economies.
Ensure that social enterprises operating in future-proof employment economies scale their businesses, thereby creating new jobs.
Green Works is a continuation of previous programs Hivos has implemented in North Africa over the past several years: Mideast Creatives (2014 to 2016), Co-Working for Sustainable Employment (2016 to 2018), and Boosting Bottom-Up Societal Transformation (BOOST) in 2019. These programs have successfully supported over 25 collaborative spaces in Algeria, Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia and helped create more than 200 new businesses, scale more than 100 others, and create over 3,000 new job opportunities.
The core responsibility of the MEL Officer is to ensure that the Green Works Program maintains a proper and efficient planning, monitoring and evaluation system. Furthermore, the MEL Officer will focus on developing (collective) learning and thought leadership.
Specific tasks include:
· Develop tools and systems, such as M&E tools, guidelines and other reference documents for M&E to ensure harmonized data collection systems.
· Provide continuous support to the Green Works team and alliance partners on how to plan, monitor and evaluate properly.
· Work with partners to review and monitor project-based M&E plans to track results or fill identified gaps in current M&E plans and outputs.
· Conduct data verification and quality control exercises in project countries, and lead on improvement of data quality.
· Oversee the Learning component through developing the learning questions and agenda. Build and lead a continuous process of re-evaluating, revitalizing, rethinking, retooling and reshaping the strategies being used.
· Coordinate the production and dissemination of high-quality learning products together with the communication officer.
· Other tasks requested by the line manager.
· You have a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g.: development, research, social science, statistics)
· You have proven knowledge of quantitative and qualitative M&E systems and tools.
· You have a minimum of three to four years of active M&E experience in an (international) non-governmental organization (NGO) or similar environment.
· You have experience conducting interviews and focus group discussions with a variety of stakeholders.
· You have experience in data analysis and assessments.
· You are well-organized, flexible, independent, decisive and energetic, and you work with an entrepreneurial spirit.
· You have excellent communication and social interaction skills and are fluent in both written and spoken English and Arabic. French is a plus.
· You are able to travel to project sites as requested.
· You must legally have the right to work in Tunisia (either as a national or already in possession of a work permit at the time of application deadline).
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Depending on your experience and skills your salary will be in accordance with the salary scale applicable to the office where you will be based.
Specific employment conditions for this vacancy
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as a foreign NGO in Tunisia, this position will be hosted at Al Bawsala, a Tunisian non-profit association, whose principal place of business is at 4, Rue Apollo XI, Cité Mahrajène Belvédère, Tunis 1082. A local contract will be offered to the employee under Al Bawsala, and therefore Al Bawsala’s employment conditions will apply to this position.
Upon the conclusion of Hivos’ registration in Tunis (and based on the employee’s performance), Hivos intends to take over the employee’s local contract, in which case Hivos’ Tunis Office employment conditions will apply.
The MENA program of Hivos contributes to political, societal and economic processes that aim at societal transformation to pluralist and democratic societies with respect for human rights and equal opportunities for all citizens. It collaborates with citizen activists, creative entrepreneurs, co-working spaces and alternative financial mechanisms such as crowd funding and investments. **
Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Want to know more?
For more information you can contact Ahmed Sameh, Green Works Program Manager, email@example.com
Please apply by September 26, 2020
You must submit both a letter of motivation and resume in English to Hivos via firstname.lastname@example.org with reference code 400-36 in the subject.