INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT - Communication and Information (CI) Unit
Parent Sector : Communication and Information
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
Type of contract : Consultant
Duration of contract : 11 months
Application Deadline (Midnight Bangkok Time) : 30 september 2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Within the framework of UNESCO’s Communication and Information (CI) programme 2018-2021, in particular its Main Line of Action 2 “Building knowledge societies through ICTs, by enabling universal access to, and preservation of, information and knowledge”, an International Consultant is required to closely coordinate and ensure the smooth implementation and reporting of the project “Building capacity for the monitoring and preservation of documentary heritage at risk in Southeast Asia”. The Consultant will also be required to assist in the implementation of UNESCO’s programme on access to information, innovation and digital transformation.Long Description
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Bangkok Office, and the direct supervision of the CI Adviser, the consultant shall undertake the following assignments:
Support the implementation of the project ‘Building capacity for the monitoring and preservation of documentary heritage at risk in Southeast Asia;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of documentary heritage monitoring mechanism in close consultation with the memory institutions from Southeast Asia and MOWCAP.
- Organize the sub-Regional training on the preservation of documentary heritage at risk in Southeast Asia.
- Coordinate the development of the publication on the state of preservation of documentary heritage in Southeast Asia.
- Promote the visibility of the project, and report on the project implementation.
Support the implementation of UNESCO’s programme on access to information, innovation and digital transformation
- Organize programme related meetings and workshops
- Assist in planning and coordinating publications and other communication materials such as videos, presentations, articles, etc. in close coordination with the Public Information and Outreach unit
- Assist the CI unit in drafting speeches, concept notes, meeting reports, etc.
- Identify and explore new partnerships for CI programme
- Support the preparation of new projects for submission to the donors
- Undertake other tasks as and when assigned by the supervisor and the Director.
Monthly report on the achievementsCOMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced university degree in communication, information, political science, journalism, information and knowledge management, ICTs or a related field.
Language: Excellent written and spoken English.
Experience: At least 2 years of professional experience in project management and coordination in the field of communication and information. Previous work experience in a UN organization and knowledge of Southeast Asian countries are highly desirable.SKILL AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to manage quality projects and deliver results;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Proven ability to mobilize support and partnerships;
- Ability to propose ideas and innovative projects;
- Capacity to combine good teamwork spirit along with strong ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Capacity to maintain effective working relationship with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds;
- Good computer and IT skills;
- High sensitivity to the UN’s principles regarding inclusiveness, neutrality and ability to mainstream gender perspective in all interventions.
Interested individuals are invited to submit all required document as mentioned above with a cover letter by email to: email@example.com
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
How to submit the proposal:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A statement indicating how your qualifications and experience make you suitable for the assignment (maximum one page)
- An indication of the approach you would adopt to carry out the assignment, including any inputs that may be required from UNESCO (maximum two pages)
- Proposed fee expressed as rate per month
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.