Chief of Section (Education)
Post Number : 4THED0053RP
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-09-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education and the direct supervision of the Director UNESCO Bangkok, the incumbent will lead the Section for Inclusive Quality Education (IQE). He/she will design and coordinate UNESCO Bangkok's programmes in the areas of sector-wide education policies and planning, including the regional coordination of the Education 2030 agenda, as well as issues of equity, quality and relevance of education and learning, with particular focus on basic education level (from early childhood through the secondary level), safe and inclusive learning environments, and gender equality. The incumbent will support and advise Field Offices in the aforementioned areas and mobilize extra-budgetary resources and partnerships. We are looking for a seasoned education expert with a solid knowledge of diverse education issues and proven management skills to support the acceleration of progress towards SDG4 in the Asia Pacific Region.
Specifically, key areas of work include:
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership for the Section for Inclusive Quality Education
- Lead the regional coordination of the implementation of the Education 2030 agenda as follow up to the World Education Forum (Incheon, 2015) in close collaboration with Member States, co-convenor agencies of the World Education Forum, other international development partners and UNESCO Field Offices;
- Coordinate and further strengthen programme activities related to promoting basic education for all in Asia and the Pacific;
- Design and implement policy research and capacity development programmes in education sector-wide policy formulation and implementation with focus on the equity and quality of education;
- Provide policy advice and technical support to Member States and Field Offices in the areas for which the Section is responsible.
2. Programme Design and Management:
- Direct the conceptualization, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of work plans, and regular/extra budgetary initiatives and activities, ensuring efficiency of resources;
- Organize regional programme activities related to policy dialogue, knowledge-creation and sharing on education sector management with a particular focus on equity, quality and relevance in education and learning, in order to strengthen the region's knowledge base and UNESCO's clearinghouse function, in collaboration with UNESCO Headquarters, Field Offices and Institutes/Centres;
- Generate and manage extra-budgetary projects in line with UNESCO Bangkok's regional education support strategy and country education policy priorities, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States, donor agencies and other partners and by engaging in fundraising activities.
3. Representation, Policy Advice, Knowledge and Expertise Exchange:
- Represent at the Senior level the Education Field programmes and unit (as relevant) to internal and external networks, such as universities, agencies, development partners and funders, organizations, National Commissions, and ministries;
- Execute any relevant activities as assigned to him/her by Director UNESCO Bangkok and represent UNESCO at international, regional or national events as well as UN and IDP coordination mechanisms, including the United Nations Country Teams for Lao PDR and/or Thailand, and the Regional UN Development System Coordination for Asia and the Pacific.
4. Resource Mobilization:
- Lead resource mobilization and develop alternative funding mechanisms for the region and individual countries by developing concepts and project proposals in accordance with the C/5.
5. Administrative Management and Staff Development:
- Supervise and motivate Education team members and other assigned staff or service providers in the IQE Section.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, social sciences or related areas.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience, of which preferably 5 years acquired at the international level in education development, preferably in education sector policy and planning.
- Practical experience in developing and implementation of education programmes and projects.
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff and teams.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in results-based management, including planning, monitoring and evaluation, in sector-wide education development
- Solid skills in analysing technical information, synthesizing and consolidating various sources of information and transforming them into more readable language appropriate for target audience.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing and excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with other partner networks outside of UNESCO.
- Well-developed skills in organizing, planning, and running training programmes.
- Excellent command of English (oral and in writing).
- Advanced university degree (PhD degree or equivalent), in education, social sciences or related areas.
- Experience in resource mobilization.
- Good knowledge of and/or work experience in Asia and the Pacific.
- Knowledge of another UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish or Russian).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.