Programme Associate – Generation Equality Campaign (Open to Indian Nationals Only)
New Delhi (India)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the centre of its efforts, UN Women is mandated to lead and coordinate United Nations’ system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming are translated into action. It is also mandated to provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The year 2020 marks a confluence of anniversaries that come at a crucial and challenging time for multilateralism and women’s human rights. As the global community marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995), (Beijing + 25), 40th anniversary of the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), 20 years since the ground-breaking UN Security Council resolution 1325 on Women and Peace and Security, 10 years anniversary of UN Women, and five years of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda) and its Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the moment is right to achieve irreversible and measurable progress towards this universal commitment to all women and girls, everywhere. At this time, equal enjoyment of the human rights of women and girls, in all their diversities, and in particular, those from marginalised communities, is at a greater risk given the additional repercussions of COVID-19. The time for transformative action is now!
To mark the occasion and build momentum for gender equality and women’s rights, UN Women will to take forward the Global Gender Equality Forum – Generation Equality, which will be a collective mobilisation moment, to galvanize all stakeholders to implement actions that remove the most egregious barriers to gender equality. The Forum will bring together civil society and the women and young people of the world, gender equality advocates from all walks of life, in a global public conversation on the urgent actions that need to be taken for the realisation of gender equality.
The key outcomes of the Forum will be feminist agenda-setting and the launch of ‘Action Coalitions’ for scaled-up and urgent action focused on critical issues to accelerate gender equality achievements. Action Coalitions are multi-stakeholder partnerships, involving civil society, governments, private sector, parliamentarians, trade unions, UN agencies and other stakeholders, who share a common goal to accelerate action on a critical thematic area of concern. These areas of concern will be determined in the lead up to the Forum in close collaboration with civil society and other stakeholders and based on the outcomes of the various review processes that are being undertaken for the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action.
The governance structure of the Generation Equality Campaign in India replicates the global model and includes a Civil Society Advisory Group and a Multi-Stakeholder Steering Committee Supported by a Secretariat.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Women Programme Analyst – Intergovernmental Processes and Women, Peace and Security, the Programme Associate is responsible for supporting with the overall planning, coordination and implementation of the Generation Equality Programme in India and will work in close collaboration and coordination with the UN Women India CO/the Regional Team and the HQ team on Generation Equality Campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide support to the Generation Equality Secretariat at UN Women India Office in coordinating the work of the Programme:
- Manage design and roll out of the engagement strategy with relevant stakeholders, including Government, Civil Society Organisations, women’s groups and networks, youth groups, academia, media and private sector in close coordination with the Generation Equality Secretariat.
- Support targeted engagement with stakeholders, in line with their identified strategic priorities and global guidance.
- Ensure a comprehensive and strategic approach that facilitates large-scale, collaborative multi-stakeholder support in close collaboration with members of the Generation Equality Secretariat and Programme Steering Committee (PSC).
- Facilitate regular meetings with PSCs and UN Women’s Civil Society Advisory Group to monitor programme implementation.
- Provide support to the Action Coalitions member from India in coordinating their work directly related to the Action Coalitions Working Group hosted by UN Women Headquarters.
- Support in consulting with women’s rights organisations/civil society to influence the structure, content, participation of women’s rights organisations/civil society and outcome at local, regional and global platforms.
- Support monitoring and review of workplan and activities under the Programme and drafting progress reports.
- Follow up on the documentation of the UN Women Beijing+25 process in India.
Ensure consistency, complementarity and effectiveness of Generation Equality Campaign in India with Regional and Global activities
- Liaise regularly with the focal points in UN Women Country Offices, Regional Office for Asia and Pacific and Headquarters to ensure Programme in India adopts consistent and complementary approaches and achieve the goals and objectives as set by UN Women;
- Coordinate and convene relevant partners, supervising the administrative tasks related to the Campaigns programme preparations;
- Prepare a master work plan and a timeline, including all elements needed in the preparation of Generation Equality Campaign’s programmes and track progress against that work plan.
- Assist the communications team in the production of internal and external communication materials, including graphic and audio visual, related to the Programme to ensure its dissemination and use among participants and beyond.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Provide/ exchange information with relevant internal and external partners,
- Maintain files, databases, and systems relevant to the Generation Equality Campaign;
- Coordinate and organize events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on Action Coalition Thematic area.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality contributions to the Secretariat coordination efforts;
- Quality inputs and technical support for stakeholder convenings;
- Timely support provided in managing activities for resource mobilisation efforts;
- Increased awareness of UN Women’s work.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Good knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues;
- Good knowledge of UN system and understanding of inter-agency coordination processes;
- Good analytical skills;
- Ability to provide advice and support.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in the area of normative processes and gender issues is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience in strategic planning and programme and project formulation using RBM tools;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
Application Information: Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.