Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the RR, the Executive Associate to RR ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Executive Associate may supervise other secretarial and clerical staff of the office. The Executive Associate to RR works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Agencies and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, and taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions.
- Management of RR missions and representation schedule.
- Facilitate and arrange for domestic and international travel of the RR including security protocol and clearances.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone/email/contact lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, Note Verbales, internal memo’s and comments on behalf of RR for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Ensure that outgoing correspondence complies with established formats and templates
- Use of automated and electronic office management systems (e-filing, email, routing, business processes) for effective functioning of the RR office.
- Daily check-in with RR on schedule and pending tasks to ensure delivery of results.
- Manage the RR driver and arrange for transport.
2. Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the electronic filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated and electronic filing and collaboration system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Facilitation of information sharing between RR Office and relevant UNDP Units as well as RCO and UNCT.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to RR.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence, routing and electronic filing, as well as follow up. Ensure that all correspondence is attended to in a timely manner.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and other units or offices.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries and other staff if and when required.
- Organization of trainings for UNDP staff on coordination, correspondence, administration and protocol issues.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Able to prioritize and to make decisions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses electronic information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases and other electronic filing and collaboration systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial or executive training. University Degree or equivalent desirable.
- 6 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, SharePoint, etc), experience in handling of web-based management, filing and collaboration systems essential.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.