Health Delegate Afghanistan
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
Norwegian Red Cross main priority in Afghanistan is to enhance the provision of primary health care in areas where other entities struggle to deliver such services. To strengthen the provision of humanitarian assistance and ensuring staff and volunteers remain safe from harm we will integrate protection into logistics and health programming by using safer access methodologies.
Norwegian Red Cross supports the Afghan Red Crescent Society in providing life-saving humanitarian services in close collaboration with the ICRC and in coordination with other relevant organizations.
The purpose of the Health Delegate position is to use specific technical competencies to ensure that Norcross supported projects through the NS are designed and implemented according to established technical standards and best practices.
Main strategic responsibilities
- Ensures that Norwegian Red Cross supported projects in relevant discipline are designed and implemented in line with established technical standards and project management methodologies
- Trains and coaches Norwegian Red Cross Country staff and Host National Society teams in thematic frameworks and relevant technical standards and support the operationalization of those standards.
- Contributes proactively with other technical personnel to Norwegian Red Cross global efforts to establish and operationalized technical standards in relevant areas.
Main operational responsibilities
- Conducts technical assessments and scoping missions
- Ensure alignment with global/regional health strategy of policies and guidelines, proposals, log frames and budgets, quarterly and annual reports.
- Carries out regular field monitoring, provides recommendations and assistance on project improvements and follows up on their implementation
- Organizes technical mid-term reviews upon request and contributes to terms of reference and inception reports to final evaluations.
- Provides continuous follow up of technical input, support and guidance to the relevant counterparts to implement activities with high quality standard.
- Provides trainings and coaches Afghan Red Crescent Society project staff on the operationalization of established technical standards.
- Regular communication with ICRC health team and carry out as primary health focal point behalf of ICRC within ARCS Health Department
- Participate national health forum or meeting with ARCS health department in relevant ministries
- Provides technical support to others PNS’s activities under EIL agreement ;Example Danish Red Cross and other near future
- The Afghanistan Health Delegate can be asked to support the Asia region where required; I.E in other countries in the Asia region
We seek a person who;
- produces fresh an imaginative ideas and solutions; breaks away from tradition; promotes change and novelty
- demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area and participates in continuous development
- adheres to organization rules and procedures; execute plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results
- quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- co-operates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- Higher University Degree in relevant technical discipline. Equivalent technical experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
- using innovative tools and approaches in relevant technical discipline
- Managing projects, including conducting needs assessment, project design, MEAL Planning and reporting.
- building technical capacities of partner organizations.
- applying standards and operationalising those standards in humanitarian projects.
- Gender Based Violence and Sexual and Reproductive Health
- English work proficiency is required; Arabic is a strong asset.
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Country Programme Manager, based in Kabul, Afghanistan
Position is based in:
24 months’ contract, possible with extension
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
- Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
- Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.