IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods
An overall plan and budget are developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
The Operations Officer reports to the FAO Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Lead and coordinate the operational support functions to the projects of the FAO-Saudi technical cooperation programme.
The provision of operation support services.
• Acts as a focal point for all project operational matters, organizes and handles the day-to-day operational activities of the field programme (including emergency, rehabilitation and development projects, in national, regional and global projects) and takes action in consultation with supervisors on any issues which arise during the execution period;
• Prepares project task force meetings and provides secretariat support;
• Ensures the timely provision of project inputs (personnel, technical support services, subcontracts, training, equipment and supplies) directly by the Organization or, when appropriate, through contractors and in liaison with other support units;
• Participates in the preparation of project work plans, monitors progress and identifies corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
• Reviews and monitors the project budget, prepares requests and revisions as required, maintains and monitors budget expenditures and resources, reviews project transaction listings with a view to identify errors in accounting against budget lines;
• Prepares and submits the Project Implementation Reports and any other reports required by the Organization;
• Ensures the completeness and quality of data and documentation in the FAO corporate systems (e.g. GRMS, FPMIS), for all assigned operational field projects and activities;
• Prepares analytical reports on project performances as required;
• Coordinates action concerning the completion of field projects and arranges for timely and adequate reporting, including identification of project follow-up requirements;
• Contributes to the formulation of project proposals according to FAO's procedures and prepares project documents for technical clearance and final approval under different funding arrangements;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Ensures compliance with corporate and programme quality requirements of projects;
• Reviews current operations processes of the FAO-Saudi technical cooperation programme and makes recommendations to improve the relevant practices while up keeping with FAO operational rules and procedures, and participates in Business Operations Strategy (BOS) and maintains records of the UNCT Operation Management Team;
• Prepares the operational and procurement plans for services, goods and human resources of the FAO-Saudi technical cooperation programme and supports the PMU with the preparation and approval of technical specifications;
• Performs all operational functions relating to the procurement process in accordance with the relevant FAO rules and procedures under the technical guidance of Procurement Services (CSLP), and monitors timely exchange of information on the status of procurement activities and all related issues; and participates in Tender Opening Panel (TOP) and Local Procurement Committees (LPC) ,as required;
• Assists with preparation and monitoring of the contracts signed with vendors, facilitates meeting all requirements needed for signing and executing Letters of Agreement (LoA) with relevant project partners; manages preparation and signing of OPA (Operational Partners Agreement), ensures close follow up, monitoring of their implementation, and confirms good receipt of goods and services;
• Reviews, updates and maintains the field programme data and ensures its quality/documentation/update in the Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS), and trains PMU personnel on operational procedures and related modules in GRMS and FPMIS;
• Supports human resources-related activities in accordance with established rules and procedures and liaises, as appropriate, with the HR Unit at the Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (in Cairo) as well as the Human Resources Division, CSH at headquarters;
• Monitors compliance with UN safety and security measure in the FAO KSA operations (MOSS), ensures that the new security mandatory course (BSAFE ' Being Safe) is met in the FAO-Saudi technical cooperation programme, and prepares report on the status of the mandatory Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) in the FAO-Saudi office and upload in COIN system to ensure compliance with the standards;
• Assists in the preparation and updating of the FAO-Saudi Office Business Continuity Plan and uploading in the COIN system.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in public or business administration, finance, accounting, economics, social sciences or another field related to the FAO mandate;
• Five years of relevant experience in project management/operations and support;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation;
• Understanding of FAO policies and programmes is considered a strong asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in supporting, advising and guiding the implementation of complex multistakeholder projects;
• Extent of experience in formulation, implementation and monitoring of projects;
• Ability to develop plans for the implementation and coordination of project operations in developing countries, in partnership with UN agencies and other concerned stakeholders and/or partners;
• Familiarity with UN administrative, operational and financial procedures is an asset;
• Working knowledge of Arabic is considered an asset.