Senior Programme Officer
T he SPO should be capable of developing and managing project activities in some of the following broad areas:
· Sustainable management of forests and trees outside forests, giving attention to measures to contain loss of forest cover,
expand the same and better ways to manage forest and tree resources on the continent, including policies and governance
requirements for the same.
· Enhancing understanding of the contribution of forests and trees to a better environment in Africa, specifically with regard
to adaptation and mitigation of climate change, as well as development of sustainable management and utilization
practices that could improve resilience of trees and forests and the people who depend on them to adverse effects of
· Better management and conservation of forests and trees outside forests to enhance their provision of ecosystem
services, including biodiversity, nutrient cycling and water supply.
· Generating evidence-based information to support the development of sustainable supplies of sufficient good quality
forest products, take advantage of livelihood opportunities based on forests and trees outside forests (including improving
food and nutrition security), as well as enhancing the contribution of these resources to poverty eradication on the
continent, national incomes and attainment of the SDGs.
· Strengthening the capacity of relevant institutions and individuals to undertake activities in the areas outlined above.
· Strengthening Africa’s capacity to effectively participate in multilateral environmental processes related to forestry and
facilitate mainstreaming of decisions from the same.
· Collation, synthesis and dissemination of critical information and knowledge to stakeholders through publications in peer
reviewed journals, policy briefs, fact sheets, working papers and other avenues.
In addition to the above, the SPO should:
· Develop annual plans of work and budgets, as well as relevant reports, for discussion and approval by the AFF Project
Steering and Advisory Committee (PSAC);
· Secure the attainment of project objectives, outcomes and other deliverables.
· Ensure quality assurance with respect to project outputs.
· Identify and secure the implementation of project changes and interventions necessary to achieve project outputs.
· Facilitating the undertaking of project evaluations and assessment of project results.
· Undertake any other responsibilities as may be directed by the Executive Secretary.
· Ph.D. in a forestry area, environment, natural resources management or related area.
· A minimum of 5 years of post Ph. D. experience.
· Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in the leadership of projects and programmes in forestry.
· Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in application of forest science to the management of natural resources.
· Must be a good team player with experience working in a multicultural environment.
· Good written and oral communication skills in English and French.