Associate Professional - Policy (NDC Implementation)
Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
Publication/Transmission Date\: 06 September 2020
Deadline for Application\: 20 September 2020 (at midnight, Abu Dhabi local Time)
Title and Grade\: Associate Professional â Policy (NDC Implementation)
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organisation mandated with the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy. IRENA supports countries in their transition to a sustainable energy future, and serves as the principal platform for international cooperation, a centre of excellence, and a repository of policy, technology, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy. At present, IRENA has 161 Members (160 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 22 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
IRENA supports countriesâ capacity to design long-term enabling policy frameworks through providing analyses of policies and measures, including trends in their adoption, and best practices and lessons learnt in their design and adaptation to changing market conditions. In addition, IRENA supports countries in maximising the socio-economic benefits of their energy transitions through measuring expected benefits such as jobs, assessing requirements for the development of renewable energy value chains, among others. In 2020-21, IRENA is carrying out various activities towards those objectives. In order to support the successful implementation of those activities, an Associate Professional is required to provide technical and operational support.
The purpose of the Associate Professional Programme is to enable junior talented and promising university graduates and post graduates to gain first-hand experience in the work of IRENA and a deeper insight into the role of the Agency in promoting the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy. The programme offers valuable exposure to IRENAâs main activities and programmatic areas. The Agency will also benefit from gaining new and motivated members of staff, bringing new skills and perspectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of the RE Markets Unit, the Associate Professional will\:
- Support the unit in collecting and analysing country and region-specific data that can be used in the analysis carried out by the team relating to renewable energy policies and finance. Such data can include energy balances, NDCs and targets, and renewable energy policies and measures;
- Assist in the delivery of country support following requests for NDC implementation through the NDC Partnership and the UNDP. Countries request support for renewable energy policy and targets include Albania, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mozambique, Uzbekistan, Turkey, among others. The support includes collection of data and information on the country, support in the organisation of capacity building workshops, and in the identification of local experts that can support the team in tailoring advice to the specific country contexts;
- Assist in the development and finalization of publications related to policies for the energy transition in regions (e.g., Africa), targets, end-uses (e.g., transport), power market design and policy instruments (e.g., auctions);
- Assist in the organisation and implementation of side events and plenary discussions on topics related to renewable energy policies and finance at the IRENA General Assembly and Meeting of the Council including the IRENA Policy Day;
- Assist in the daily activities and general tasks in the RE Markets Unit as well as in requests from other divisions in the Agency when required.
Professionalism\: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication\: Ability to communicate effectively with various types of individuals and institutions. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork\: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing othersâ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Accountability\: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Education\: Advanced university degree (Masterâs degree or equivalent) in the field of energy, renewable energy, engineering, economics, or other fields related to the job description. A first-level university degree in combination with additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
Experience/Skills\: Sound knowledge of renewable energy policy frameworks and experience in research, data collection and analysis related to renewable energy policies and finance.
Language\: Excellent command of both written and spoken English. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an asset.
Qualified candidates must apply for the above-mentioned vacancy on-line, through IRENAâs recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest, including details of two professional references who might be contacted if their application is shortlisted.
Applications from qualified women, especially from nationals of developing countries, are highly encouraged.
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for an interview and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process.