Internal Vacancy for South Africa Country Office: - Fixed Term Appointment – Senior Procurement Associate, GS-7, Pretoria, South Africa, Requisition# 534260, Post# 85306 - (UNICEF Only)
Pretoria (South Africa)
The Senior Procurement Assistant will support the countries of Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Eswatini, in addition to the support provided to South Africa Office (BLNES). The position shall be based in South Africa with provision of procurement support of goods and services from South Africa, being a middle-income country and the market is vast.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Established in 1946, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child, in everything we do. Together with our partners, we translate this commitment into practical action, focusing special efforts on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, for the benefit of all children, everywhere. UNICEF has had a presence in South Africa since the dawn of democracy and continues to work towards improving the lives of children in the country. From its office in Pretoria, the UNICEF South Africa Country Office works with a range of partners in government, civil society, academia, the corporate sector, media and various other sectors to create a safer and healthier environment for every child. Through the support of individual, corporate and other donors, UNICEF is able to undertake its work, both globally and in South Africa. To learn more, please visit www.unicef.org/southafrica
How can you make a difference?
The Senior Procurement Assistant will support the countries of Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Eswatini, in addition to the support provided to South Africa Office (BLNES). The position shall be based in South Africa with provision of procurement support of goods and services from South Africa, being a middle-income country and the market is vast. Under the general supervision of the Procurement Specialist, prepares requests for proposals and purchase orders for all kinds of services and goods for the BLNES, obtains quotations from local vendors, monitors status of financing and maintains financial records of purchase allotment accounts. Responsible for assistance with procurement cycle for a segment of products. Providing effective services to customers, ensuring accurate and timely processing of requisitions and requests up to the completion and closure of the order, with the overall goal of meeting the needs and requirements of the customers.
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education with additional training in Business, Procurement or another related field.
- Five years relevant working experience, preferably in a procurement function, from an administrative function in a commercial working environment.
- Fluency in English with knowledge of another UN language as an advantage.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values: Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA);
UNICEF Competency Framework: Building and managing partnerships; Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness; Drive to achieve results for impact; Innovates and embraces change; manages ambiguity and complexity; thinks and acts strategically; and works collaboratively with others.
Functional Competencies: Applying Technical Expertise; Planning and organizing; Analyzing; and Following instructions and procedures
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks…
- Receives and reviews incoming supply requisitions for goods and services; confirms availability of funds, adequacy of information/specification/TOR and completeness, obtains additional information considered necessary.
- Drafts and prepares bid invitations; issuance of the (RFQs), (ITBs) and (RFPs) for procurement of supplies/services, price tabulations, analysis, and recommendations ensuring solicitations, competitiveness and value-for-money. Monitor SO/PR and follows up on progress to ensure that commitments entered into are met.
- Coordinates submissions to CRC (contract review committee); assist in CRC preparations, schedule of meetings, preparations of minutes, signatures, and maintaining documents pertaining to the CRC submissions and meetings.
- Draft PO Purchase Orders and ensure accuracy in terms selected supplier, details are in line with the supplier's pricing ensuring delivery period and terms are in the best interest of UNICEF, ensures distribution of signed purchase document to all required offices, and obtains suppliers’ acknowledgment of the PO. Prepares evaluation of suppliers with respect to delivery performance and commercial acceptability.
- Assists in establishing prepares Long Term Agreements (LTA), draft institutional contracts/LTA’s based on approvals and per agreed terms and conditions.
- Compiles lists of local and BLNSS sources of procurement of services, contracts vendors for the price quotations, prepares summary of the bids including information on price and conditions of offer.
- Maintain the UNICEF South Africa Supply website in coordination with website designer to facilitate tender and vendor application postings and advertisements.
- Extracts procurement information from VISION and records and summarizes for use of management reports, CRC reports, etc.
- Process and review the monthly forecast for payments of goods and services for SACO and BLNSS countries.
- Maintains manual and automated procurement files and records in accordance with UNICEF guidelines, provides purchase information to receiving offices.
How to apply…
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their application to the following link: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=534260 by 20 September 2020.
We invite you to watch a short video on the system on how to apply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgDIQ9RVYs&feature=youtu.be
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only complete applications as indicated in the VA will be reviewed and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNICEF only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at: http://www.whed.net