Payroll Benefits Assistant
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
CSLC recommends and administers process management and procedures that need to be executed effectively; ensure the management of quality assurance activities associated with the transactional processes and implementation of service delivery; continuously improve the satisfaction of its customers, internal or external, while pursuing a continuous improvement agenda that will drive up service excellence while driving down the costs of service delivery through process standardization, process automation and self-service capabilities. This post will be based in the Payroll Unit and the incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities within the CSLC depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Payroll Assistant performs a broad range of activities requiring in-depth analysis and interpretation of relevant policies, procedures and practices.
The Payroll Assistant reports to the Payroll Associate. Supervision received is focused on facilitating service delivery. The incumbent provides guidance and training to support staff.
The Payroll Assistant maintains contacts with managers, staff and stakeholders within the unit and the SSC. The incumbent collaborates closely with colleagues in other units of the SSC, ensuring the quality and consistency of programme/projects support services.
- Prepares and verifies inputs to the monthly payroll process (E.G. Batch Element Entries, one-off entitlement, etc) including the details of the interfaces with other systems in the Organization (e.g. AP, Credit Union, Telephone Billing, O/T and N/D), working directly with the responsible requesting unit to ensure smooth, efficient processing
- Monitor and ensure the timely clearance of advances by preparing payroll recoveries as one of the inputs to the monthly payroll process or by contacting the field offices (or ex-employees) where necessary;
- Reconcile payroll related clearing accounts
- Verify payroll assurance reports, particularly those detailing staff members with high allotment amounts, zero allotment amounts, negative net pay and others as needed, reporting discrepancies;
- Execute database queries, identifying discrepancies and reporting back to the PBU officers, identifying and/or performing correcting actions as directed;
- Implement eligibility and rate calculation changes to the various entitlements supported by the Organization's payroll system
- Adapt/amend payroll fast-formulas, and perform relevant tests and verifications
- Check for correctness and completeness all overtime and night differential requests for HQ; identify under or over-estimated claims, resolve discrepancies where possible bringing to the attention of the supervisor when retroactive corrective action is required
- Update data in the Payroll/Oracle Advanced Benefits system applying standard procedures (input new duty stations attributes, amend dependency status)
- Distribute payroll output reports detailing payments to third parties (e.g. Allianz, UNJSPF, FAO Credit Union, Staff Associations) after completion of the monthly payroll cycle
- Perform specific exceptions actions (e.g. data corrections, overrides) related to the HR system in particular provide support to user related queries for issues arising through the use of the system.
- Take corrective and retroactive actions related to payroll entitlements
- Prepare payroll certificates for staff members taxable in the USA, and for other staff members when requested.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent’s work impacts directly on the smooth and efficient operations of systems support activities of the unit. He/she plays a lead role in the coordination and provision of the support services for the successful achievement of the unit’s mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Four years of systems support experience in Finance or Entitlement HR
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office Applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Thorough knowledge of corporate computerized financial/travel/human resources systems
- Good knowledge of database applications using access or other database query products
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
- Experience with the HRMS/Payroll and AP applications of an ERP
- Experience in payroll and working with database applications is an asset
- Limited knowledge (level B) of a second FAO language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese)
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency