Gender based violence coordinator (M/F) - Iraq/Kurdistan
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s. During its first mission in the country, MdM was providing general and specialized medical services (surgery, training programs for traditional birth attendants). Since then MdM had several programs which included paediatric surgery, contributing to the renewal of techniques and knowledge of surgical, medical and paramedical staff in 1997, emergency medical activities in 2002, building local capacity on basic emergency healthcare services at community level in 2006. From 2009 to 2011, MdM supported an Iraqi NGO in the implementation of a program aimed at improving the skills of midwives and traditional birth attendants in accordance with recognized international standards.
In 2014, with the arrival of ISIL, MdM started to provide immediate healthcare support through curative and preventive care including MHPSS services to IDPs and host communities in the Kurdistan region of Iraq (KR-I). Later, MdM expanded its support to the most vulnerable IDPs and host communities outside of the KR-I region, in Kirkuk Governorate in july 2015 and in Ninewa Governorate in april 2016. Since 2018, MdM has developed a program where activities are gradually handed over to the MoH.
The current program focuses on supporting the local health authorities in providing quality PHC services (including MHPSS and GBV response) and continue to strengthen the capacities of local public health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates, to provide quality care and respond to health needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
• A combination of direct and complementary services, especially related to general health, sexual and reproductive health (SRH), while contributing to the health system strengthening through capacity building at DOH level
• Mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS)
• Gender based violence (GBV) integrated within the PHCC general health services, SRH and MHPSS services
• As a cross cutting approach MdM is planning to develop a community health based (CHB) approach to ensure community participation, while empowering individuals
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the deputy general coordinator and in close coordination with the medical, MHPSS and MEAL coordinator, you are responsible for the assessment of needs and launching of the missions GBV program. You provide technical expertise and leadership for MdM and partners NGOs and ensure integration into the existing MdM programs in Iraq.
You receive technical support from the health and MHPSS advisors in HQ and you work closely with the full coordination team and the field team. You technically supervise 3 GBV supervisors in the field. You also work in close collaboration with GBV focal staff of partners NNGOs.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
GBV perception needs assessment
• Collect and analyse secondary available data related to GBV to inform MdM program
• Coordinate the mapping of stakeholders in GBV
• Lead the planned perception assessment on GBV among local partner, staff and community members
• Guide and train the teams participating in the GBV perception assessments and ensure the availability of tools for the needs assessment
• Ensure the writing of quality report of the GBV perception assessment
Implementation of the GBV program
• Design context tailored program activities based on GBV perception assessment and outcome
• Ensure the adherence to international standards, MdM strategy and guidelines
• Ensure the development of project related tools and training materials for the GBV program
• Develop the sensitization and awareness plan and tools for partners staff on GBV topic based on the perception survey outcomes
• Ensure implementation and monitoring of the GBV programs
• Monitoring the activities and the results achieved against the project indicators
• Provides technical expertise by responding to technical questions, analysing GBV strategy and identifying solutions to problems
• Provide internal and external reports to the general coordinator and health and MHPSS advisor in HQ
• Participate in defining GBV related positions for the mission and for the partner NGO
• Draw up job descriptions
• Participate actively in recruitment for the GBV program
• Identify training needs for MdM team and partner NGOs
• Prepare a GBV training plan in coordination with relevant team members for MdM and partner NGOs
• Develop GBV training materials including facilitators guidelines to be used by field teams
• Prepare and ensure implementation of supervision tools for the GBV program
• Ensure the quality of the training and supervision conducted by GBV supervisors by preparing training manuals, training tools and supervision tools
• Represent MdM to NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, donors and other relevant parties in the field and share information with the coordination team
• Represent MdM in the protection cluster and GBV working group, ensuring active participation and timely reporting
• Ensure accurate reporting to protection cluster and /or GBV working group
• Play an active role, in the event of a visit by a donor, in preparing and managing the visit
• Work in close coordination with selected partner national NGOs, with whom MdM has developed an MoU aiming to assist in capacity development
Monitoring and updating GBV strategy
• Contribute to the development of the mission’s operational strategy in line with MdM global strategy and the country strategy, and the identified needs
• Participate in the development of a proposal addressing gender based violence need in Iraq
• Ensure that the GBV activities of the mission’s programmes comply with MdM country strategy
• Ensure an integration of health, MHPSS and GBV activities in the program activities (PHCCs and communities) in coordination with the MHPSS coordinator
• Promote the production (publication) of research documents relating to the mission where appropriate, in coordination with HQ health advisor
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: 01/10/2020
Gross monthly salary: 2 845 euros
Based in Erbil with regular travel to the field
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Master’s in public health, gender studies, or social work
At least 3 years relevant professional experience in GBV health projects in humanitarian sector
Gender project management in humanitarian work or a related field
Solid experience of project planning and budget holding, proposal and report writing
Experience in remote management and post emergency
Experience in middle east is an asset
Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (logical framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.)
Experience in management of multi projects budgets
Capacity building skills
Supportive management style (experience managing and supervising staff)
Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
Independence, ability to take the initiative and responsibility
Ability to work under stressful situation
Good analytical skills
Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
Ability to plan, organise, prioritise and meet deadlines
Ability to classify and to manage priorities
Listening and diplomacy skills
Good people and communication skills
Trustworthiness and rigor
Flexibility, and able to adjust to changing context and situations
Languages: English mandatory, Arabic, Kurdish or French are an asset.
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Please apply via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JFuOYfRu?idpartenaire=128