Senior Editorial Officer
Signpost is an innovative digital initiative providing the humanitarian community with a platform to reach refugees, asylum seekers and crisis-affected communities around the world with accessible information. Signpost programming will take a holistic approach to address information needs in Kakuma, Hagadera (Dabaab) and Nairobi. Signpost is a useful information resource for people in need fosters more in-depth community, more trust, and, most importantly, more utility for its users.
IRC is seeking a Senior Editorial Officer, based in Kakuma and Hagadera (Dadaab) under the direct supervision of the Signpost Manager and will support the Signpost teams in Nairobi and the Hagadera and Kakuma refugee camps. The Senior Editorial Officer will be responsible for development, management, and dissemination of quality, verified, relevant information on Signpost. The position is integral within the Signpost team and will work closely with moderators in publishing content through digital and other diverse channels based on need and responding to clients’ information needs.
- Publish relevant and appropriate content on Signpost
- Ensure Signpost content is accurate, complete, easy to understand and engaging.
- Collaborate on, edit written and multimedia content built by Signpost team (Signpost Manager, Moderators, Service mapping officer)
- Monitor traffic and other feedback emanating from Signpost
- Use the Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software and other tools to prepare content for publication.
- Coordinate, update, and handle the Signpost style guide.
- Ensure the Signpost photo database and calendar are up to date.
- Support moderators with publishing posts on Facebook and other media
- Contribute to drafting reports on Signpost content **
- Work with Information Technology team to resolve technical issues across platforms.
- Provide technical guidance, on the job mentoring and coaching for the moderators and senior editorial officers
- Ensure ongoing training and targeted capacity building of signpost staff.
- Review performance of moderators in the field and provide encouraging approaches to address issues identified.
- Approximately four to 5 years of meaningful experience in editing, sub-editing, copy editing
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization
- Experience with Navigating online systems to complete work
- Knowledge of social media strategies
- Knowledge of online content best practices
- Knowledge and experience of managing websites and social media platforms
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Media, Public information, or another relevant field
- Advanced English language skills, oral and written
Preferred experience & skills:
- Experience in content editing**
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Passion for writing
- Strong interpersonal and time-management skills; shown ability to prioritize and deliver on time
- Great attention to detail
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a multifaceted, cross-functional team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.
Follow this link to apply https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/10273?c=rescue