Head of Programme
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS Haiti Operations Centre (HTOC) has been working in Haiti for over 15 years providing infrastructure, project management, procurement and logistics services for the Haitian Government, other UN agencies and international organizations in communication, governance, and engineering expertise.
The UNOPS Haiti office is currently implementing a wide range of projects across sectors, including disaster risk reduction, urban and local development, employment generation, SME development, urban and rural roads, renewable energy, health and education, environment, census, and elections. At the same time, as part of the country strategy, increasing focus has been given to supporting the management of public resources through the development of national implementation capacity via a wide array of technical assistance interventions supporting projects from IFI’s.
The Head of Programme reports directly to the Country Office Director who provides direction and general supervision. The Head of Programme is responsible for programme development planning and preparation and for managing all stages of programming to achieve results in the area/s of responsibility. The role contributes to the development and implementation of strategies to enhance the competencies and position of UNOPS in sustainable project management and services to partners, stakeholders and UN system partners.
Main functions are:
|1. Programme governance, implementation and monitoring|
|2. Programme development and planning|
|3. Manage programme resources|
|4. Partnership, networking and advocacy|
|5. Knowledge management and innovation |
Enclosed to this vacancy announcement you will find a detailed description of functions and a fact sheet of UNOPS projects in Haiti.
- A Master’s degree is required preferably in engineering or architecture, project management, public administration, social science, economics, development, business administration, or other relevant related field.
- A first level university degree (equivalent to bachelor's degree) and 9 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master´s degree.
- PRINCE2® Foundation/Practitioner an asset, but required completion within the first 6 months of onboarding.
- Programme/Project Management Professional (MSP® or PMI-PgMP/PMI-PMP) an asset.
- A minimum of 7 years experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in social development, business development, executive management and/or programme management planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization and/or leading infrastructure projects. (Please complete the project portfolio form attached to this vacancy and submit it with your online application)
- Experience supervising large teams.
- Experience managing complex infrastructure projects is desirable.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Experience in collaborating and implementing projects financed by International Finance Institutions is an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English and French is essential.
- Knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time or 6:00 PM Haiti time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Please note that Haiti is a non family duty station
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.