Farming Systems Specialist
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO’s approach to development assistance in Mindanao focuses on supporting the rehabilitation of agriculture and fisheries-based livelihoods, accelerating agriculture-based enterprises and increasing access to sustainable energy, and resilience to risk in municipalities affected by natural disasters and conflict. FAO interventions will include, among others:
- Introduction of various productivity enhancing technologies to improve household incomes and promote sustainable agricultural practices.
- Technical assistance to government in reviewing existing policies that promote equitable agribusiness venture arrangements between farmers and agribusiness firms and capacity building activities for farmers that are anchored on the value chain approach.
- Capacity building on enterprise development and agribusiness that will allow farmers, fisherfolk and local government units to maximize potential market opportunities.
- Restoring and increasing the productivity of agriculture and fisheries-based livelihoods of smallholder farmers and marginalized fishers, decommissioned Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) combatants and their families Enhancing the competitiveness of farm households, particularly women, to establish and manage microenterprises
- Facilitating the establishment of agribusiness enterprises with production-market contract agreements or similar arrangements
The Farming Systems Specialist will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in the Philippines ad interim, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and in coordination with the Assistant FAO Representative (Administration), and guidance from the Mindanao and Emergency Response and Preparedness Group (MERG), and with close collaboration with the Department of Agriculture (DA), Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Agrarian Reform (MAFAR) – Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), and other relevant partners.
FAO is implementing a Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP) on the development of Halal Livestock Production Systems in Mindanao, Philippines that ultimately help increase incomes of stakeholders in the Halal food supply chain thus contributing to the improvement of food security and nutrition. This is through capacity building of agricultural technicians and farmers on the use of developed Halal protocol and standards in the production of feeds/forage for small and large ruminants, good agricultural practices and technologies on Halal livestock production. Similarly, the project aims to promote and disseminate information on Halal livestock production systems in farming communities in Mindanao.
The Farming Systems Specialist will carry out the following tasks:
- In consultation with Department of Agriculture-Halal Food Industry Development Program (DA HFIDP), design Halal compliant livestock production systems;
- Provide technical specifications of agricultural inputs needed;
- Provide technical advice/guidance on the implementation of Halal production systems with large and small ruminants in selected pilot sites in Maguindanao and Lanao del Norte province;
- In consultation with DA HFIDP and National Livestock Specialist, prepare training modules on Halal production systems;
- Serve as resource person on trainings on Halal production systems;
- Participate in Technical Working Group meetings and other activities in relation to halal and rural development;
- Provide technical inputs in the preparation of the project terminal report; and
- Prepare and submit an end of assignment report.
- Carry out any other relevant duties within his/her technical competence as may be requested by FAO.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, Soil Science or Agricultural Science with complementary knowledge in agricultural development planning and other related fields;
- The candidate should have at least five (5) years practical experience in the implementation of projects on crop production at the field level;
- A national of the Philippines.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Must be familiar with the local rural setting in Central Mindanao and Bangsamoro areas
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute complex processes across a wide range of stakeholders, advance ability to work quickly and under pressure
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team is of importance as is the ability to take leadership when appropriate
- Language requirement: Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Tagalog;
- He/she must have intermediate to advance computer skills skills in the use of standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.