UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
To mitigate the impact of violence on women, their families, communities and society, survivors of violence need access to a range of critical services including health care, safe accommodation, legal aid, psycho-social support and income generating skills. With COVID-19 and the increase in VAWG, it is critical and urgent to ensure the availability of life saving services for women survivors of violence. Women Protection Centers are shelters for survivors of violence and their children that provide vital services including legal aid and healthcare, counselling and vocational training.
To ensure shelters are able to provide critical services, a multi-donor, multi-stakeholder Women Protection Center Trust Fund (WPC TF) will be established to promote sustainable, coordinated, strategic and efficient funding as well as to ensure quality service provision, in line with international standards. The WPC TF is a multi-lateral grant making mechanism supporting national efforts to prevent and end violence against women and girls in Afghanistan. This Trust Fund provides technical assistance and funding to advance the development of innovative models and strategic interventions in the area of ending violence against women and girls. This Fund will enhance the benefits received by survivors through standardisation of applications and services provided by WPCs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Secretariat, the Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Country Office (CO), HQ/Regional communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Plan, design and implement internal and external communication strategies and plans for the WPC Fund:
- Oversee the implementation of the Communication Strategy
- Prepare and conduct communication needs assessments for the programs
- Analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of internal and external communication strategies;
- Integrate communication strategies into proposals for project/programs and other initiatives;
- Monitor and analyze Afghan-based print and social media in the area of women and protection centers.
- Coordinate and lead in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local/regional campaigns and special events.
Coordinate and implement the development of communications materials:
- Develop and produce communication instruments and materials for awareness-raising and resource mobilization, including briefing materials, press releases, and drafts of articles, and manage its dissemination;
- Identify and propose information opportunities, activities, approaches, and platforms;
- Promote and disseminate communication materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications of UN Women HQs, Asia Pacific Regional Office, and Afghanistan;
- Oversee the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Review/quality assurance of translations, contracts with printing/publishing companies, and other suppliers to ensure top quality production of publications and other promotional materials;
- Documenting WPC Fund public events with photo and video-tools.
Coordinate media relations for WPC Fund:
- Manage relationships with press in the country; maintain and update database of the relevant press;
- Respond to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence, under the supervision and in consultation of the Head of Secretariat;
- Provide media training to staff;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for the press as required.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors:
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with partners and provide materials for outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Design and edit packages for program initiatives for donor review;
- Draft regular newsletters and prepare content for donor reports.
Maintain the WPC Fund’s a web/ online presence:
- Manage the online content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Provides substantive contributions to the Gender Knowledge Hub on Afghanistan
- Manage the Fund’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy, including Facebook, Twitter, Flicker, under the supervision and approval by the Head of Secretariat;
- Upload information to UN Women's global and local knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to program country goals and activities;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks as needed;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate;
- Maintenance of information database and library, including photo and DVD.
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating differences in values, and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Good relationship building skills and ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Good communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) or Bachelor’s degree in media relations, journalism, publishing, or relevant field
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 3 years of relevant work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications, or advocacy in the case of a Master degree
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications, or advocacy in the case of a Bachelor degree
- Experience in the use of computer applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, formatting and design applications for publications)
- Fluency in English, Dari, and Pashto is required
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset