Project Assistant - Effective Governance Cluster Projects - UNDP Moldova
UNDP Moldova Effective Governance Cluster works towards democratic and accountable governance, focusing on two critical dimensions: laying down the institutional bedrock, and ensuring men and women’s voices are heard. As the whole governance structure is facing public pressure due to its limited accountability, UNDP works to promote Parliament’s openness to people’s needs, to ensure inclusive and transparent electoral processes, to contribute to establishing effective corruption prevention measures, to strengthen the public finance management system, reforming the justice and law enforcement systems and the security sector, ensuring better protection and promotion of human rights, and achieving a higher and fairer representation of women in the areas where they are traditionally underrepresented.
The Project Assistant is expected to provide administrative, financial, procurement and logistical support to the smaller scale projects implemented by the Cluster, including the Strengthening Capacities and Systems for Effective Public Finance Management in the Republic of Moldova, Strengthening the Parliament’s Role in Enhancing Gender Equality in the Republic of Moldova as well as other forthcoming initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Assistant will work under guidance and direct supervision of the respective Project Managers to ensure smooth running of the Project, provision of administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country Office, as well as national beneficiaries and stakeholders. In addition, the Project Assistant will assist Project Managers and other project personnel in implementation of day-to-day activities, as required.
The Project Assistant will apply and promote the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Assistant, under the guidance and supervision of Project Managers will perform the following tasks:
- Ensure compliance with all corporate rules and regulations and donor requirements in the field of financial planning, expenditures tracking, reporting and auditing;
- Monitor Project budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved Project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare/clear requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments; ensure the payments are done in accordance with the Project Work Plan and approved budgets;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions based on inputs from other Project personnel;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and Project budget status reports;
- Prepare periodical procurement and inventory reports;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the Government and UNDP with respect to financial aspects of the Project, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Monitor the cost-recovery charges;
- Perform necessary checks of the financial reports submitted by sub-contracted project implementers;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Calculate and process travel-related entitlements and payments ensuring compliance with UNDP travel policies and procedures;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Creates vouchers in ATLAS, if delegated by the Country Office;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
- Support the procurement processes by contribution to development of requirements and ToRs for goods and services, involvement in the proposals’ evaluations and contracts’ negotiation and issuance;
- Coordinate the use of Long-Term Agreements;
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Process in ATLAS the transactions in line with the Internal Control Framework;
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Prepare and issue contracts and ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Maintain an equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required.
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Assist the Project management in recruitment processes and performance management of IC consultants;
- Administer processes on human resources management, acting as Leave Monitor, maintaining the attendance records for all project personnel, and monitoring of and reporting on payroll expenses;
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, accommodation, etc.);
- Provide support for development and documentation of project documents, including drafting TOR, progress reports, etc.;
- Maintain records on all project personnel/ consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Maintain project correspondence incl. receive, screen and distribute correspondence and attach necessary background information and prepare routine correspondence and memoranda for supervisor’ signature, as well as drafting the correspondence when needed;
- Assist project manager in assessing proposals and preparing documentation for approval, organizing partner workshops and capacity building events and accompanying project staff on monitoring visits;
- Arrange external and internal meetings as per request of the Project manager (including the meetings of the Project Steering Committee (Board), technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.), workshops and field visits;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the project activities;
- Draft minutes of project related meetings;
- Maintain updated networks of project counterparts, contractors, consultants and suppliers;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Assist other project personnel in all administrative-related matters, such as logistics support to different events organized by the Project, drafting and translation of the minutes for these events and, coordination of field visits and international missions to the Project;
- Draft and translate relevant correspondence into English or Romanian at the request of supervisors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keep abreast of UNDP rules and regulations in the area of responsibility and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning;
- Provide inputs for elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with Project management.
The position has a direct impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UNDP interventions and activities in the assigned sectorial/thematic area of promoting democratic governance.
The support and information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board and UNDP Management.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standard;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions;
- Acts as a team player and facilitates teamwork;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish priorities, achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work related to the position (financial resources management);
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the financial resources management and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Project, managing data, reporting;
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to achieve results and deadlines in a timely manner, maintaining a high standard thourghout.
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics, finance, accounting, public administration, law or other related field.
- At least four years of experience in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other relevant area is required.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO, or previous experience with UNDP in the implementation of international, preferably large scale, projects, is a strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Romanian is required;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.